Topic Options
#76678 - 09/23/05 09:25 PM Problem with boiled eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I boiled some fresh eggs the other day and had a horrible time peeling them. The shell didn't come off easily and ending up taking half the white with it. Why is this? My eggs were fresh from the nesting box. Does that matter? Also, they are brown eggs. Does this make a difference? Thanks for the help
Linda

#76679 - 09/23/05 09:32 PM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not being Brown shelled that makes a difference its because of the fact that they are fresh from the nesting box. you have a hard time peeling fresh eggs because of the strong shell. what you can do is let some eggs sit in the fridge for a week or two and then try boiling them. you will find that it is much easier to peel them.

#76680 - 09/24/05 05:49 AM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Dipsy Doodle Offline
Bantam

Loc: South Carolina
Here, it takes 9 days in the frig for an egg to get 'peel-able' smile
I date my eggs as they go in the frig and don't even try boiling any before then.

I did just boil some last night that had been sitting 4 days at room temperature.
I usually refrigerate all my eggs, but I was keeping some to hatch and ran out of room in the incubator (hooray, my new homemade 'bator holds 35 eggs).
They peeled just fine.

Lisa

#76681 - 09/24/05 02:34 PM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try steaming them instead, does not matter whether they are old or fresh.

#76682 - 09/24/05 07:35 PM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
5Talents, As fancyfree said steam them instead of boiling them. You can get a lot of info from the search field in the upper right of this page. Just type in "hard boiled eggs" and you will get a lot help. I had the same question and now I only steam my eggs. The sticking has to do with the membrane I believe not the shell. Good luck, I would not want to have to worry about keeping eggs for a week or to first.

#76683 - 09/24/05 07:40 PM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well as we usually don't use up my eggs till they have aged for a week or more anyway we have never had the problem with boiling them. but thanks for the tip.

#76684 - 09/25/05 11:07 AM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the help! I will try everyone's suggestions.
Linda

#76685 - 11/07/05 04:42 AM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Virginia
I do the steaming method now, too. But mainly because I have come to love the mildness of deviled eggs made with eggs that are only a day or two old. They are so nice and mild, with no sulfury smell. Steaming them and then doing the icewater bath does the trick. You might still have a few stubborn ones, but I always steam a few extra just in case. And they don't go to waste.

C

#76686 - 11/07/05 08:56 AM Re: Problem with boiled eggs?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
I read about steaming here, tried it, LOVE it!!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn