Topic Options
#76696 - 06/13/04 07:07 PM Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an Americauna with a middle toe that is crooked. It is longer than the rest and forms an "L" shape. I am becoming more and more convinced of how much of a mongrel these Americaunas really are. One with a crooked beak and one with a crooked toe. Maybe they should be politicians or go on disability!

#76697 - 06/14/04 07:36 PM Re: Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had exactly the same thing with my buff orpington. Luckily, I noticed it when she was just 3 days old, and I was able to rectify it. It's a birth defect, and common, even in pure-breds like my orpington. If she's old, there's not a lot you can do, but hope that she can walk normally. If she's under 2 weeks old, you can place her toes on a piece of duct tape in the straightened way that they should be, then fold it over the toes. You may have to change it every 2 days or so for about a week. It should probably straighten out.

#76698 - 06/15/04 04:58 AM Re: Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plunkerperson> she is 16 weeks, so probaably there's no hope of fixing it??? She walks fine anyways. She is the biggest chicken I have, bigger than my leggerns or RIRs.

#76699 - 06/15/04 03:17 PM Re: Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

"The owl carried off one of my hens! It was the one with the twisted foot, too. She was my best layer."

-Credited to Laura Ingalls Wilder

That quote (even if it is fiction) gives me hope that my 16 week old Black Australorp with the twisted toes might be worth saving. I didn't try to straighten her feet up either because it wasn't noticeable until she was older. She's got two toes bent sideways and curled up, but they don't seem to hinder her: she's really fast and she can even roost. The up-side is that I can tell her apart from her sisters. smile

Good Luck!

#76700 - 06/15/04 03:51 PM Re: Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that she will be just fine. If she can walk and everything alright, then it'll all be good, and there's nothing you need to do to fix it. Yes, 16 weeks is too late to splint it, but it's not important if it doesn't cause her any trouble. good luck!

#76701 - 06/15/04 04:12 PM Re: Crooked Toe
Anonymous
Unregistered

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn