Topic Options
#76730 - 11/02/03 06:01 AM I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ordered all females....so 1 roo out of 9 isn't too bad. He's 13-14 weeks old. He hasn't crowed yet....but, he had waddles very early, has roo attitude (always stands tall, not afraid, etc), and I just noticed little nubs/bumps on his legs (i suspect spurs).

Do they crow often? When they do, are they loud? Also, if he does mate with my other chickens (frizzles, silkie, rir, rainbow egg layer, black sex link, cochin) will it be ok? Also, how are they as roosters....I know everyone is different...but are polish roos very aggressive?

#76731 - 11/02/03 08:20 AM Re: I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Him breeding your other hens wont hurt them, but ours were MEANER THAN... the blue ones are some times a little sweeter and might turn out better, the newer breeds-colors are often a little sweeter.

Also you might look at his feather shape, in his creast, tail, saddle the roos are often pointed and the hens more rounded.

Hope this helps

#76732 - 11/02/03 08:52 AM Re: I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends on how much you baby him basically. I've not had any of my roosters act aggressively. The polish that I've seen are the same way. They're funny little things as they can't see anything, so they're rather goofy in appearance.

I also noticed on my friend's polish that they'll grow in a female crest first and molt in a male one. The best bet is to look for saddle feathers. They'll be at the base of the tail and will be rather pointy.

As for crowing, depends on the bird. My birds will crow when I'm around and not so often when I am not around. It's basically to show you that this is their territory.

#76733 - 11/02/03 09:15 AM Re: I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Oh boy Kelly. It seems to be the season for surprise roosters. It turns out that my Slifer is a roo too. Yahoo? If you've held him and petted him alot he should still be friendly. Jerry was still petable. Slifer isn't as friendly, but will allow a little petting, as will Obelisk. But they weren't hand raised either. I worry about this massive tank of a Brahma trying to mate with this little delicate Leghorn. Yikes! Good luck. I hope he's not a roo, though, just because of my last month wink

#76734 - 11/03/03 05:39 AM Re: I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really didn't want any roo's because I have a 3 year old daughter. And I just did not want to take the chance of her getting hurt. Would you believe her favorite chicken, the only one with a name (hatch-hatch), turned out to be the roo. She is going to freak out if we have to give him away. And because he's so distinct looking, I won't be able to trick her. I would love to get a female polish and switch them out.

#76735 - 11/03/03 06:55 AM Re: I think my blue polish is a roo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you local laws allow you to keep him, I would at least try and watch him carefully. Like I said, baby him a bit and hold him and he should be fine.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn