Topic Options
#76793 - 09/03/03 03:00 PM Hamburgs refuse to roost in coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm starting to wonder about these lil' devilettes! Our hens free range about our 3 acres of lawn all day and at sundown, everyone goes back to roost in the coop...'cept the Hamburgs who haven't used the coop for about a week now. I've tried to lure them in with cracked corn, but no tricks working yet. I'm close to giving up and figuring they're going to get snapped up by our local coyote or owl.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bill L.

#76794 - 09/03/03 03:45 PM Re: Hamburgs refuse to roost in coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

We love our Hamburgs but they do like to roost in the trees. We finally just had to build a pen/run and put netting over the top. We lost one of our Hamburgs to a fox, but we had lost several other girls to owl.

Sorry I'm not much help. Good Luck

#76795 - 09/03/03 04:43 PM Re: Hamburgs refuse to roost in coop
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hamburgs, especially the smaller ones from hatcheries , can be quite wild. When young mine liked the trees but I have no problems w/ them going to their pens.

#76796 - 09/03/03 05:12 PM Re: Hamburgs refuse to roost in coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Props have to go out to "Kathie" and her husband's trick of using the hoe to get the &%$# birds to step onto it. I modified the trick by using an extendable pole I use for painting; placing a old frozen (rusted in place) paint roller and nudging the Hamburgs, one at a time onto it. Then I just carried them gently to their proper home and placed them onto their roost. Unfortunatly, 1 is roosting about 30 feet
off the ground, so I'll have to try the trick tomorrow.

Thanks to the list, Mr.Coyote and Mr. Owl will have to wait for another shot at 'em.

#76797 - 09/03/03 08:05 PM Re: Hamburgs refuse to roost in coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, if weighing the choice between clipping wings so birds had to go to the coop and be safe at night but vulnerable during daytime free range vs not clipped and open to night preditors but safer(?) during the day, I'd take clipping wings.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn