Topic Options
#76925 - 07/15/04 10:59 PM 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few days ago I went out to water my three hens and their male companion and lo! there were 4 beautiful eggs. Three of them were huge and had double yolks and one was a bit smaller. However, every time I have been out since there are no more eggs at all! Is this normal? Could it be that they've been laying longer than I think and eating them and I just got lucky by catching those four? Are first eggs usually so large- grade AA or larger? I'm so excited, but I have no idea of what is going on...

Matt

#76926 - 07/16/04 06:45 AM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Anonymous
Unregistered

How egg-citing for you. smile How old and what breed are your girls? Were all of the eggs in the same nest/place? It is common for first-timers to have a span of days (4 to 5) between each egg. It is also common for the first eggs to be smaller then get up to normal size for the breed as they get down to business.
Finally, do you have a 'friend' who may have played a trick on you by planting grade AAs in the coop? wink
When it comes to chickens, all things are possible.

#76927 - 07/16/04 09:26 AM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Collective, it is possible the eggs were a plant, but not likely. They were sold to me from a farm and feed supply store as buff sexlinks and red somethings. I asked for good layers and this is what they gave me. I'm a first timer too, so maybe I should be expecting less. I just figured that once I saw eggs there would be a new one every 25 hours or so. I'm so eggs-cited I can hardly stand it. Out of the three hens, I think only one is laying right now. We also ended up with one rooster who may become a mcnugget soon as he wakes up my daughter every morning with his ill-timed wake up call. We could probably use him later when she gets into high school though and needs help getting out of bed! smile

#76928 - 07/16/04 10:25 AM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Eowyn Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Last year I had one hen that layed a giant double yolker for her first two eggs, and my goose did too. wink

#76929 - 07/16/04 04:39 PM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does this mean I shouldn't be worried that they have become egg eaters or something? It's really hot here (90s) right now too- would that account for some irr-egg-ularities? smile

#76930 - 07/16/04 05:32 PM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If they were egg eaters, there would be shell chips and some stuck yolk in the nest. How come 4 eggs in one day with only 3 hens? Perhaps you had not been checking?? Or listening? The hens would be cackling after laying eggs, very noisy and a signal that there is an egg. Pullets seldom start laying every day at first, but laying double yolkers for the first couple of eggs is not unusual. Just signifies that their system is not yet in synch. It is unlikely that all 3 pullets would start to lay on the same day, but when one starts, the others usually follow soon. And they do not lay every day at first, that comes with a short startup time. So something is strange--unless you just hadn't been aware of what was going on in your coop?
But now that they have your attention--enjoy those eggs that will be coming more frequently! Good luck, CJR

#76931 - 07/17/04 07:27 AM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply, CJR. It is possible the eggs accumulated. Not expecting them to start laying yet, I had been sticking to my usual care schedule of refilling the two waterers once a week. So it had been a week since I had been in there. In fact, not knowing how old they were, we cracked each egg to test. The albumen was very clear and partially watery. Would the heat be affecting their laying as well?

#76932 - 07/17/04 08:24 AM Re: 4 Beutiful Eggs and then Nothing!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
When pullets start to lay, they usually are not much affected by season (light) or temperature for quite a while. So I would expect you will receive eggs pretty regularly starting in just a few days. But be sure they have shade, better see that their water is fresh every day, as they will not drink enough if it gets warm or gunky.

Now that we are having 95 degree days, my day is busy changing waters, shading the waters as the sun "finds" them. There are 18 pens, inside and out, that have waterers to be serviced. Summer is short here--so it won't be many weeks until days become cooler and I can mail the young birds to their new homes. Then it is back to few pens of adult birds and chores are less time consuming! The hens are still pouring out eggs, several are setting, (oldest pullets will be laying any day), and I couldn't resist setting just a few more special eggs--out of my mind!! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn