Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#76958 - 02/28/04 08:00 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It doesnt bother me in the slightest to eat the fertile eggs, Yes i am trying to raise chicks, but am totally 'green' when it comes to chickens and roosters, you can imagine by my sign in name that we are pretty useless at what we are doing.I have 2 hens that seem to go broody one after the other, so I thought I may as well have a go at raising some myself as chickens are so expensive to buy over here.
She is in a totally enclosed shed, on her own under some stairs with a straw nest, quite darkish, warm and comfortable.
The rest of my brood have their own quarters and freerange all day, I just collected up 10 eggs then put them all under the broody in one go.
It's just that i have seen the rooster only mating one of my chickens and not the others, although he could have done without me noticing.

#76959 - 02/28/04 09:15 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi Loosa,
You said you have 2 broody hens but not how many others with the one roo. I probably have the Most fertile eggs in the world!! I have almost as many roos as I have hens in some pens. I had to put a bunch of my roos loose in the yard and acreage till I raise pullets for them LOL.
What I was gonna tell ya was that a roo that is young and healthy and virile can, at times, breed a different hen every 5 minutes! LOL I have seen one of my young roos cover 3 different hens (one of the 3 times in this particular time period, about 30 minutes) and never miss a beat. I can go in their
pen at night to bug hunt with them and the first thing he does is tackle at least 1 of the hens.
This is why you really only need about 1 roo for 10 or so hens.....
I have only 1 time in my life had a hen that was definately, totally un fertile but she would always set and hatch eggs
Good Luck,
Sally
P.S. If you aren't sure if your eggs are fertile, if they are there should be a little squiggly white filiment attatched to the egg yolk. wink

#76960 - 02/28/04 09:45 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there Sally,
I have 4 hens and one BIG rir rooster, I was looking for blood spots in the eggs, but when I crack them I had noticed all this white stuff on the yolk, it makes it hard to separate the whites for cooking, is that what you mean, cause if it is then nearly all my eggs must be fertile.
I just candled the 7 eggs Esmae is sitting on, and judging by the pictures I was given on another topic in this forum 5 were ok. we cracked the other two and they stunk bad.
Esmae didnt like me taking her eggs for a while, i had to use a barrier between my hand and her beak, felt like a warrier with his shield.lol.

#76961 - 02/29/04 06:13 AM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well now I'm confused. I have definitely seen that squiggly white thing coming from the yolk from some of my store bought eggs, so acc. to you Sally - they're fertile. Then, I cracked my duck's eggs, which probably were fertile since my drake is on the rampage with her - and the whites were as clear as clear could be. Is it because her eggs were so fresh the white "thing" (for lack of a better word - don't know what it's called at that point) hadn't developed yet?

#76962 - 02/29/04 07:08 AM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
The little white squiggly thing is was centers the yolk in the egg. It's called a chalaza. And there's one on each side of the yolk.

#76963 - 02/29/04 09:50 AM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Spotted Crow is correct. The white squiggle has nothing to do with fertility. Do a search on fertile eggs in several of the topic areas to learn more.

Bill

#76964 - 02/29/04 06:11 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
hmmmm.....ok, if I am wrong I apoligize, but, I have never had the "rooster" (that's what my step-mom used to call it) laugh in non-fertile eggs that I canremember. That being said, I NEVER use store bought eggs so I guess I will have to get some and see. In my defence confused ...I worked at an egg processing plant years ago and we handled THOUSANDS of eggs a day and NONE of them had a rooster in them. There were plenty with blood spots etc, and some that the yolk was VERY heavy looking tho. My search is on.
confused in FL shocked

#76965 - 03/01/04 04:13 AM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Sally, I have had several smallish pullets locked up all winter with no rooster and the eggs till have the white wiggly things in them. It is a string to hold the yolk in the centre of the egg, so it doesn't stick to the shell. It breaks down over time, so store bought eggs, if old enough, won't have one.

#76966 - 03/01/04 02:02 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

O.K. so now I am totally confused, but it doesnt really matter, as I am not desperately trying to get chicks, but after candling I think I have 5, I will know this week. And I dont care if I eat fertilized eggs, all the same to me, and the family don't even think about it, I dish it up, they eat. lol

#76967 - 03/01/04 02:03 PM Re: embarassing question, chickens mating...
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Here is a site that may help in your research. http://www.georgiaeggs.org/index.html

Bill

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn