Topic Options
#77113 - 10/24/05 11:29 AM How long breaking broody?
Hennie Mavis Offline
Chicken

Loc: New Hampshire
I was posting on the health board, and found out that my cochin is broody not sick. At first I was going to wait it out because I don't necessarily need her eggs, but now I've seperated her as the other girls were picking/biting her (nestbox hog). So... she's now in my studio in a 25-inch cube cardboard box with a window screen over it. She has food, water, grit & NO shavings, just flat sheets of newspaper under her. Does this sounds appropriate? Thus so, HOW LONG til she gets back to normal and can be put back in the coop? Do I wait til she lays an egg again, is that my sign? Or will she snap out of her hormonal stupor sooner and I be OK to return her when I see that she... what? (I'd prefer to get this over with. She jumps & slams around in her box, spilling her water & food, between setting bouts of course.) I searched "Broodiness" and saw that one reply said she should buck up in a few days to a week, but another post that said 3 or 4 WEEKS, have mercy. Clarify?

#77114 - 10/24/05 11:41 AM Re: How long breaking broody?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
Sounds like you're doing it right. I have never tried it, but I've heard 3 - 4 days. She'll stop just setting. She may not start laying again for awhile, even if she does 'de-brood' and, of course, the other chickens will be mean to her for a couple days, like she's new. They do that to broodies when they come off the nest each day, too.

Such fun, aren't they?

#77115 - 10/24/05 03:21 PM Re: How long breaking broody?
Chicken Bill Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
I actually had a hen that i couldnt break. After a week I finally put a couple eggs under her. And ill be darned if she didnt set there until they hatched

#77116 - 10/24/05 04:42 PM Re: How long breaking broody?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I had a hen turkey sit on nothing for 3 months and couldnt dissuade her; I thought she would die there and didnt much care either!( I dislike turkeys).

#77117 - 10/25/05 06:52 AM Re: How long breaking broody?
Hennie Mavis Offline
Chicken

Geez, I hope she breaks SOON. Several folks have told me that banty cochins are inclined to be broody. Guess I'll know not to get that kind again, what a nuisance (I got her in a blind mix of 6 banty chicks). I don't really want to have chicks right now, and I hate to see her get picked by the others (the main reason I removed her). At least her scabby comb will heal, if nothing else. I keep telling her to get over it, but she's still setting!

#77118 - 10/25/05 08:02 AM Re: How long breaking broody?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I've found if you put them in a cage with a wire floor where the air can circulate under them, that will help break them from being broody a little sooner. Some people hang the cage so that it sways whenever the broody hen moves.

#77119 - 11/04/05 01:12 PM Re: How long breaking broody?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

So, Hennie, has she quit clucking yet?

#77120 - 11/05/05 04:05 AM Re: How long breaking broody?
Hennie Mavis Offline
Chicken

Yes, hooray, my broody hen has been returned to the flock as of last Tues.! She is pretty much broken. Though I did catch her in a nest box briefly yesterday, but I booted her out and she stayed out. She now acts mostly normal, except that she's not laying again yet, and sadly, she does seem a bit "lost." That's the only way I can describe it... she has a distracted, disconnected personality now, poor little thing. Separating her was a good thing, as her picked comb has healed, too. If I ever decide to hatch chicks, at least I know who my setter will be!

#77121 - 11/07/05 08:55 AM Re: How long breaking broody?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

She'll probably start molting, just another phase in the cycle. If a hen actually hatches chicks, she'll care for them for about a month or 6 weeks, start shooing them away and then molt, then start laying again. That seems to be the cycle my girls go around.

My two little bantam cochins teamed up on the 2 standard cochin chicks I hatched. They were both broody when the eggs hatched, I gave them to one, and as soon as the other heard the peeps, she just jumped right in and co-mothered. Quite a site, and so fun. They had no problem with us humans 'helping' not like the banty who would attack if we came close.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn