Topic Options
#77162 - 07/08/04 12:32 PM loner hen
Feathered Friend Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
One of my hens started hanging out solely in the hen house about a month ago, even when the other chickens are out in the yard getting a treat. When she ventured out just once that I saw, she got a fair amount of pecking. She didn't used to be so shy of the rest of the flock. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her. I don't think she's broody since she isn't settling onto eggs. Could there be something wrong with her that I can't see and the other chickens sense? Or is she just getting picked on?

#77163 - 07/08/04 08:27 PM Re: loner hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

I, too, have had different chickens that have fallen out of grace with some of the other chickens. frown I took extra food and water to the loner in the chicken house, and if she was hiding out in the bushes, I always made sure that she got back in the hen house for the night. After a week or so they seemed to turn their "meanie" attentions on a different chicken. I don't know why they do this, but at the moment, they are all getting along great! laugh I was wondering if it had to do with some of the special attention that I was bestowing on that particular chicken at the time, like picking her up and talking to her, while the others kept their distance. The way it's worked out is that they have all had their turn at the special attention. Maybe someone with more chicken experience can give a more educated guess at the problem.

#77164 - 07/08/04 08:41 PM Re: loner hen
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Some breeds are more timid than others. Chickens do sense when another hen won't fight back, so to speak. I'm having the same problem with a guinea. He's now in with the peacocks and a 'special needs' hen. The others were relentless at their bullying, but all I could figure out is, he wasn't standing up for himself. My 'special needs' hen lost her wings in a bobcat attack when she was a baby. Now grown, if she should fall over, my other chickens are on her like "you know what"! That's why I keep her separated....

#77165 - 07/09/04 11:19 PM Re: loner hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peacocks are amazingly gentle with chickens that are either "special needs" or "on the outs" with the others. They are so kind. They seem to look out for them. I've experienced that with my chickens and peacocks. smile

#77166 - 07/14/04 03:42 PM Re: loner hen
Feathered Friend Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
Thanks all, for the stories of your own experiences. I'm wondering if she isn't getting old, and not feeling up to defending herself. I inherited this flock when we moved here, and I don't know how old any of them are.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn