Topic Options
#77268 - 02/07/04 10:34 AM Breeding chickens
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I was given 8 newly hatched rhode island red chicks last spring. One turned out to be a rooster, the other 7 are hens. The main purpose of these chickens are for eating the eggs. My sister-in-law asked if I would breed them so she could hatched eggs for her 1st grade class room students. Not knowing if these chickens are related, would it be wise to breed them? confused

#77269 - 02/07/04 11:05 AM Re: Breeding chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi,
It should be avoided if the bloodlines are the same, however if you do not know this i would avoid breeding them just in case. Can you contact the breeder they were bought from or did you get them from an auction? Were they all the same age when you brought them?

#77270 - 02/07/04 11:45 AM Re: Breeding chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your luck is pretty good if you got 8 and ONE was a rooster!
Do you have any other kind of hens to use for setting or do you use an incubator?
The RHR's that I've had would not go broody.
Good Luck!

#77271 - 02/07/04 12:04 PM Re: Breeding chickens
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
For the purpose of getting my chicken was just to supply myself with eggs to eat. 7 hens are MORE then enough, so I really had no intention of breeding them. When my sister-in-law approched me to breed them, she has an incurbator that she has used in the past. I'm thinking about getting another rooster just to be safe so there is no problems with cross breeding them.

#77272 - 02/07/04 12:24 PM Re: Breeding chickens
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Inbreeding chickens is no problem at all, unless you do it for many generations. Your eggs are likely mostly all fertile right now, if all the birds are together. You do not neeed another rooster, in fact if you add another one, you will have more bloody fighting than mating. Let your sister take some eggs for hatching at school whenever she is ready. BUT before she does this BE SURE you have safe and suitable homes for the chicks when they are ready to leave school! Likely a number will be roosters! You will not want them back in your flock. While things are going well, do not upset your birds--you would regret it! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn