Topic Options
#77293 - 06/25/04 11:52 AM Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am new at raising chickens and just figured out how to enter my Polish rooster and hen in the county fair. The entry form required leg band #. I know what a leg band is, but I can tell my hens apart and have never used them before. Both my hen and rooster are full grown. I only need two, and you cannot buy just two. I did read somewhere that you can use cabel ties, but can you use them if you are wanting to show them? Can I get leg bands at a local feed store? If anyone knows about this, I would be thankful.

#77294 - 06/25/04 07:15 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
J. Lewes Offline
Chicken

Loc: Nevada
i am wondering about this myself.
we only have 8 chix.
we can tell the ameraucanas from one another quite effortlessly.
however, not so w/our wyandottes. they are changing & we aren't always sure which is which.

#77295 - 06/26/04 08:28 AM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, most feed & seed stores sell leg bands. Their supply might be limited. Also, do a search here [see top of page at right] for leg bands. smile

#77296 - 06/26/04 08:54 AM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Heres a good site. As good a price as I have found. Lots of choices too. Rog Bands

#77297 - 06/26/04 04:16 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Do you absolutely have to have leg bands to show your birds? I've thought about entering Obelisk.

#77298 - 06/26/04 07:27 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

I buy my leg bands from a local grain/feed dealer store. I pay 10 cents per band. Number bands have to be ordered separately. I too will be showing. I currently use the bands to select my breeding stock and the rest will be culled.

Mike

#77299 - 06/26/04 08:48 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The reason for numbered leg bands is for identity! The judge may look at, for example, 50 Buff Brahma pullets at a show--could you begin to remember each bird?? Of course there is a coop tag, but it also has the number. Birds are taken out of the cages for judging and sometimes more than one bird is taken out for comparison===and it would be VERY easy to put one back in the wromg cage without the number id on bird and cage! And you don't want anyone to take home the wrong bird. .... and sadly, it does happen sometimes, even with bands.
You can purchase permanent numbered bands, put on at a young age! Lots of show people use them every year--even has the year on it! CJR

#77300 - 06/27/04 06:48 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have another question and it may sound very stupid. Who puts the numbers on the tags? Do they come with numbers or do you write them on and what happens if two birds have the same number? Also, are you saying that I can get the wrong bird back. (Actually, I wouldn't mind for one of the roosters. laugh Just kiding) Does this happen often? I trying to show at a fair so in years past there haven't been that many polish. I would hate to loose Rome, my polish rooster. frown Is there any other thing I should know since I am very new at this? Last question, where can I get a copy on the guidelines for each breed? Thanks,

#77301 - 06/27/04 11:42 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

Xelli:
Leg bands come pre-numbered. There is little chance that if you had, for example, a WCB Polish Pullet in the show that another WCB Polish Pullet would have the same type of leg band with the same number. Anything is possible however. Just be very careful at coop out time, that is when most mix ups happen.
The book you need is a copy of the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection. You can contact them at: www.ampltya.com. Their website contains a lot of information and they sell legbands. If you have bantams you could also contact the American Bantam Association at: www.bantamclub.com. They sell the Bantam Standard and a lot of other material as well as leg bands. Many shows these days carry sanctions by both the APA and ABA.

#77302 - 07/14/04 06:01 PM Re: Leg Bands for Show
Anonymous
Unregistered

I buy from stromberg on line. They came quickly and have several colors and numbers to choose from. I have all my birds banded. This helps with mating too. I can put for example cockerel/rooster 4 with pullet/hen 14. I know who has mated with whom and can collect the eggs that way placing both numbers on the eggs to be hatched and know exactly which blood lines and which parents the chicks belong to. If I like the results I can repeat it. If I don't like the outcome, I can avoid it and try something new.

Mike

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn