Topic Options
#77322 - 08/26/05 10:55 PM winter and chickens
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Hi, I was wondering about winter and my chickens. It can get into the 30's here and I am wondering if I need to be concerned confused They have a nice coop made out of plywood that is off the ground. Is that enough? Also, the floor of the coop is 1/2" wire, will putting down straw for bedding be enough (wind blocking)? I was wondering and am new to having chickens. Thank you for you responces laugh

#77323 - 08/27/05 03:10 AM Re: winter and chickens
13Blackbirds Offline
Bantam

Loc: Georgia
My chickens handle Maine winters, last year we saw a week that never broke 20 degrees so I think you'll be fine. My mom's flock is on the coast of Georgia where they have an occassional freeze. Her coop has wire mesh windows that do not close so there is always some exposure to the elements and she's never had a problem - in fact she has far more trouble with heat than with cold. Just remember that there are two things that are really bad for chickens - 1. drafts, as long as they can get out of the wind they will be fine 2. stale or stagnet air - chickens breathe moist air and it needs to be exchanged for clean air or you'll harbor every available disease
Best of luck!

#77324 - 08/27/05 05:11 AM Re: winter and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our chicks were about 2 months old and living in the coop when we had some very cold weather here in TN. We strung weather-proof extension cords out to the coop and hung a 60 watt bulb about 18 inches above the floor in an area where anyone old could go but away from potential tangles and issue. They were fine. And it was nearly freezing for several nights in a row, too. I doubt that I will worry as much this year since they are all full grown. But since we are getting another 15 chicks next week, we may have a light strung out to the smaller coop once we put the young ones out in mid-October. for those colder nights until they are bigger.

Vanessa

#77325 - 08/27/05 06:23 PM Re: winter and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most breeds are pretty cold hardy - some can stand nearly 5 degrees. The extra straw will help them, you can also feed them extra grain to keep them warm. Eliminate any drafts and seal up cracks in the walls or anywhere the cold can get in.

#77326 - 08/27/05 08:11 PM Re: winter and chickens
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Thank you for the info. My chickens are 8-12 weeks old now so come winter they should be fine then. cool

#77327 - 11/11/05 08:25 AM Re: winter and chickens
Patti in MA Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a question about winter also, my birds are 5 weeks old and I have them in a coop with boards & battens. Wood shingle roof, No insulation one small window chicken door & a full size door. it has very small cracks but I thought that would be good for ventalation. I also have a 250 watt bulb in there and 4 or 5 inches of wood shavings. Does anyone have any suggestion I can use for making sure they will be safe and comfortable for the winter? Thanks!

#77328 - 11/11/05 09:15 AM Re: winter and chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patti:
Ventilation is very important to keep the moisture content of the air to a reasonable level. Frozen combs and wattles are more a result of high humidity in freezing weather as opposed to just cold by itself.
Cracks, while they are a form of ventilation, will allow drafts to run over your birds while they are roosting. Vents are usually up near the ceiling where there is no danger of drafts to the birds. Birds keep warm by fluffing their feathers to trap a layer of warm body heat to keep themselves comfortable in the cold. Drafts will lift the feathers and release that heat, so the bird will get very cold, fast.
I recommend that you cover those cracks and possibly open a window just a bit to ventilate as long as the window isn't located in the same area as the roosts.
James

#77329 - 11/11/05 02:52 PM Re: winter and chickens
Patti in MA Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks so much for the info James, Of course the window is right above the roots. So I guess i will maybe put Plywood on the insides and then cut A vent near the top of the coop. If i put a louver in would that be alright? I wish i found this board Before I built my coop.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn