Topic Options
#77335 - 01/24/04 05:12 PM How long can eggs be put under hen?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a hen that just started setting. She only has 3 eggs under her. How many days since she started setting can I add eggs from my other hens?

#77336 - 01/24/04 05:28 PM Re: How long can eggs be put under hen?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Since every egg takes about 21 days to hatch--and you should have ALL eggs hatch the same day, if you want to hatch a whole clutch (maybe 10-12 eggs) just save the eggs from your other hens in an egg carton until you have enough--trash the 3 eggs under the hen--and place the new eggs under her--all will start at the same time, hatch the same day. Do not take the eggs from the setting hen until you are ready to place a full hatch under her--and then do it at night--DARK, and the eggs will be warm in the morning and she will not know the difference (hens can't count). AND mark all those new eggs in pencil (date of set is a good date to write). You will not want other hens laying in her nest!! Mark your calendar for the day they are due to hatch. Better success can be had without surprises. Good luck!! CJR

#77337 - 01/24/04 05:29 PM Re: How long can eggs be put under hen?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi Terry,
If you want to put a lot (say 10 or 12 if a standard...8 or so if bantam)under your hen you need them to be hatching within a day of each other (in my opinion). If you have several days in between she will get off the nest and leave the ones not out or the first ones out will get too hungry and thirsty from not being fed.
If it was me I would remove the 3 she has and replace them with the batch to hatch all at the same time. If the ones she already is on are important to you also and you can take care of them for several days you can take a PENCIL and mark the ones she has under her now. Make a note of when you first saw her brooding, count 20 days
(that gives you 1 day leeway in case you are off your guess). When those are due to hatch you can get them away from her, at night is the best time for me, and put them where she can't hear them peep, such as in the house, under a light with fresh water and feed. When the others all hatch a few days later and are strong enough to come off the nest you can slip the others back under her, ( again preferably after dark). This may or may not work for you. I have done it many times but I have miscalculated too.
good Luck.
Sally

#77338 - 01/24/04 05:33 PM Re: How long can eggs be put under hen?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
OMG CJR lol we must have hit post at the same time hahaha. When I started my ideas noone had responded and when I posted you had too...too funny. Oh well, basically the same stuff....yours is much simpler. laugh
Sally

#77339 - 01/24/04 08:23 PM Re: How long can eggs be put under hen?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the help.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn