Topic Options
#77442 - 07/06/04 08:30 PM Oops! Chickens ate some Miracle Grow..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used some Miracle Grow granules (the green slow-release ones)when I planted some perennials and forgot that the chickens would free-range it. I'm sure they ate a little bit. My question is...does anyone know if it's toxic and if so, will it be out of their systems soon or will it affect my girls' egg quality when they start laying in late September?

#77443 - 07/08/04 01:55 PM Re: Oops! Chickens ate some Miracle Grow..
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
There's nothing particularly toxic in Miracle Gro, but it isn't food. It is water soluable, so it shouldn't last in the system long. Now that it is two days since you've posted the question, have you noticed any harmful effects?

#77444 - 07/11/04 08:45 PM Re: Oops! Chickens ate some Miracle Grow..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi! And thanks for responding to my question.
No, I haven't noticed any harmful effects....I'm just concerned about it ending up in the eggs.
But since you said it's water-soluable, you're right, it should excrete from their systems fairly quickly.

#77445 - 07/15/04 12:56 PM Re: Oops! Chickens ate some Miracle Grow..
Bonnie in IN Offline
Chicken

Loc: Indiana
If they were laying NOW, you might throw the eggs out for a week or so. But since it will be so long before they lay--------Don't worry about it.

I, myself, would eat the eggs and not throw any out is they were laying now. Chickens eat some really gross stuff and there is nothing toxic in the small amout of Miracle Grow that your birds would have consumed. wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn