Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#77459 - 06/28/07 09:37 AM De-Crowing a Rooster
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a rooster can safely be de-crowed (not sure if that is a correct term for this), will it have a detramental effect on him? He's a pet; but if I can't remove his crow, the city will take him and kill him. He comes when his name is called, eats from our hands, and follows us around all day. We love him and he loves us. We are the only thing he knows.

Please hurry with any help you have. We only have a week. The city will let us keep him if he is quiet. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks
Georgie's MaMa

#77460 - 06/28/07 09:43 AM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Personally I think it's cruel and inhumane to remove his voice box.

#77461 - 06/28/07 09:57 AM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you ever heard of or seen a Rooster after this has been done?

#77462 - 06/28/07 10:55 AM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
No, I haven't. It has never crossed my mind to remove the voice box of one of my roosters. I have a feeling it will be quite expensive IF you can even find a vet. who will perform the operation.

#77463 - 06/28/07 12:32 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Raspberry Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Oregon
I asked my vet about this and the vet said it is not possible.

I think decrowing (if it were possible) is somewhat akin to declawing cats.

I have mixed feelings about declawing cats. Some of the most loved cats have been declawed. Some of the poorest cared for cats have not. I lean towards owners loving their cats with its claws.

Just last week I had to give up Crowbar, my Black Jersey Giant Rooster. Someone in the neighborhood turned me in to animal control. The vector folks came out and were very supportive of me having over the three hen limit. They just would not let me have any roos. So Crowbar went to the countryside to live with other Giants and to walk on cool green grass.

It is rather depressing out in my hen house now, even with seven of Crowbar's chicks running around with a broody Jersey hen. Somehow, the personality of a rooster really livens up the place. I am making plans to move to the country myself.

If it were possible to safely "decrow" a young rooster, if the bird could live a very happy healthy life following healing of the surgery, and if decrowing actually increased not only the 'tollerance' of chickens in the city, but also promoted the hobby, then I feel decrowing would fill a bigger and thus more worthwhile purpose.

But that is a lot of "ifs"... which cannot come true. So ay dicussion on the matter is ultimately mute.

Better to just find a home for your tame roo. He will like life there.

Raspberry

#77464 - 06/28/07 12:40 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for your comments. I am sick about losing him to a ranch or farm, others say that Roosters might kill him, since he thinks he's more of a dog....or just a sweet little pet. But I,... like you , feel bad about muteing him. We also have cats and would never de-claw. Hopefully , I can find a place where he would be happy and SAFE...he is so use to setting on my window ledges in my plants, watching tv through the window...and pecking on them for me to come out and play.

Thanks again
Georgie's MaMa

#77465 - 06/28/07 12:41 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Birds are very difficult to Anethetize for a surgery. You will need to find a Avian Vet I am sure and the surgery will be very expensive, and it will not quite him 100%. I have been told by others who have had it done that it lowers the crowing so its softer, but not gone.

#77466 - 06/28/07 12:44 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where would I find an Avian Vet?

Thanks
Kodiblue

#77467 - 06/28/07 12:55 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
There is another alternative, that you would not like, as it would change his freedom. I have sent 2 bantams to a Manhattan, New York, 6th floor apartment, where they have been happy for almost a year, laying eggs and just now in their first molt. How? She built an Aviary, larger than you see for finches, etc. and room to at least fly up to several roosts. She also has a walkway to an outside cage on her deck, so they can have sunshine and growing "greens"! NY City is not opposed to "exotics", including roosters. I encouraged her to take pullets only, for the sake of her apartment neighbors--and she does give those neighbors eggs now and then! She wants to raise some chicks so badly, that she might, in time, have a cockerel long enough to get fertile eggs--her sister, in Vermont on a farm would take him, then. Even if she wanted to keep him with her, penned hens with a rooster, need more room--too much activity all the time!

Anyway, there you are! CJR

#77468 - 06/28/07 05:27 PM Re: De-Crowing a Rooster
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
My son-in-law tells me birds are very difficult to anesthetize, the survival rate is not good. He says he would never perform such a procedure ,even if it was legal,which it isn't in the UK,EU,Australia or NZ,because he considers it too risky ,and unethical.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn