Topic Options
#77660 - 03/30/05 12:02 PM pulletts not laying?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello,i have eleven 19 week old pulletts.4 barred rocks,3americanas,and 4 red sex links.these are our first chickens.we are feeding them medicated starter feed and they free range on 2 acres durring the day.they are in a 6'x8' coop at night with 7 nest boxes.they have a red heat lamp on 24 hours inside the coop.i found one small blue egg abought a week ago on the ground away from the pen near the house but haven't found any other eggs since.am i doing somthing wrong or is it just too early?

#77661 - 03/30/05 12:16 PM Re: pulletts not laying?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings Kurt-
You just need to be patient. Each chicken will begin to lay on their own time schedule. The little sample you found is an indicator of what's yet to come.
You may want to consider mixing layer rations with the starter feed they are currently eating. Then you can gradually add more layer to less starter until they are on layer only. This will avoid an abrupt feed change and minimize stress.

GOOD cLUCK!

TC
cool

#77662 - 03/30/05 12:23 PM Re: pulletts not laying?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks tc,i just can't wait until we start finding more eggs.it's almost like easter every day watching the kids hunt for eggs.

#77663 - 03/30/05 01:10 PM Re: pulletts not laying?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
KURT, You only need 3 or 4 nest boxes for 11 hens, as they will mostly use just one or two! That will leave a little more room in your coop, which is very small for 11 hens. And if you leave a golf ball or wooden nest egg, in one or two nest boxes, as an indicator to the birds of where to lay, it may start them laying there instead of dropping them outside or on the coop floor. If you find more eggs outside, you might keep them cooped a little longer in the morning, so they will learn that the nest boxes are a more comfortable place to lay their eggs (although they don't even know about laying as yet!) With your different breeds, they do not mature at the same age--usually the Sex Links are first to lay, but not always, as your little blue egg has shown you! But be patient and when they start to lay, the eggs will be smaller than usual (pullet eggs) and it may take a while to have production be a daily or almost daily thing! Then the eggs will get large and delicious! Good luck, CJR

#77664 - 03/30/05 01:54 PM Re: pulletts not laying?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks cjr,they also have a 8'x20' fenced run that they can go into from the coop.i only close the coop at night.i would let them out all the time but i already lost 3 of them to a neighbors dog two weeks ago.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn