Topic Options
#77724 - 03/04/06 12:48 PM cedar chips
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Is it okay to mix cedar chips and straw together for my hens nesting box's? I just picked some up today thinking that it may keep them from getting mites. I don't have them now, but with the weather getting warmer I am thinking they might find my girls and I would like that to not happen. I have always used straw only. Thanks smile .

#77725 - 03/04/06 12:59 PM Re: cedar chips
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Hello BJC:

I use straight cedar chips all the time for everything. Cedar on the the floor of the coop, cedar in the nesting boxes. Cedar in the chick pen where my two week old chicks are. Some feel that it has pesticide qualities, and it probably does. But I still have a lice problem anyway. With or without cedar, you will have to be vigilant about wee crawling beasties.

If you do a search (top of page) about cedar bedding, you will find oodles of information.

#77726 - 03/04/06 04:35 PM Re: cedar chips
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sorry, cedar shavings do not keep birds from getting mites. Complete fallacy. If you think it works for you, I won't argue. It just smells nice when first put down and does control odor for a long time. It doesn't break down as fast as pine shavings, is not quite as dusty--and I have used it for many years. I still use pine shavings for older chicks, as they can scratch it so much better and make a nice beds in it, in corners before they learn to roost. Cedar is still available here in Montana, very reasonably. Not forever! CJR

#77727 - 03/04/06 06:17 PM Re: cedar chips
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you, for some reason I thought it helped keep bugs away. Anyway, as I said I don't have any yet and am looking for ways to keep it from happening. I guess I will have to use some seven dust if it does. Thank you again.

#77728 - 03/06/06 01:11 PM Re: cedar chips
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
If you are concerned about "bugs" straw is a terrible choice for any animal. It is a hollow tube, perfect for hiding and other bug life needs. Use hay instead. It is more expensive in many areas of the country and heavier to lift but less inhabitable. I do put cedar chips in my nest boxes in hopes of repelling bugs because I believe the old myth but I can't prove it has helped. I do keep some SEVIN dust on hand and sprinkle it in the areas they dust bath from time to time. It is made for dusting garden plants so as chemicals go it seems "safe". There are directions on the bag for using on animals as well as plants. The eggs are still safe to use, just rinse with water. It is found in the garden center of large stores such as WalMart. Do not substitute Eight which is now found in small garden centers. It is a different chemical and is harmful to many animals.

#77729 - 03/06/06 02:09 PM Re: cedar chips
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks fowl lover.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn