Topic Options
#77747 - 08/07/03 08:24 AM How do you know when they have enough feathers to go out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have my new chicks in my garage. But, when do you know they will be warm enough to live out in their coop? Is it a certain time (week age) or do they have to have all their feathers? I have never had chickens, so how do i know when they have all the feathers?

ALso, how old is the chick when it will look like the adult chicken it should be? ie- will it look like it should at 4 weeks, just smaller?

Thanks

#77748 - 08/07/03 09:10 AM Re: How do you know when they have enough feathers to go out?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
You can remove the heat as early as three weeks of age for some birds, but you still have to keep them out of the cold or drafts. A good rule of thumb is to wait until the birds have all their body feathers. It takes the late-feathering breeds longer to get their body feathers, but in the summer time you usually don't have a problem putting the birds out at 6 weeks. Freaky cold weather can still be a problem, but 60 - 70 degree F nights are not a problem for healthy birds in proper shelter at this age.

#77749 - 08/07/03 09:12 AM Re: How do you know when they have enough feathers to go out?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
It varies from breed to breed, but don't expect the adult plumage to start coming in until after the birds are 8 weeks old. By they time they are 18 weeks old they should have all their adult plumage, but some males take longer to get their hackle and saddle feathers.

#77750 - 08/07/03 09:25 AM Re: How do you know when they have enough feathers to go out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please look on page 39 of Salatin's book, Pastured Poultry Profit$. Depending on the time of the year, we turn off the heat lamps after a week.

#77751 - 08/09/03 02:03 PM Re: How do you know when they have enough feathers to go out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a rule of thumb I wait till they have feathers on their back before they go outside, )

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn