Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77854 - 10/07/03 08:34 PM The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok - one of my buff orps has me really confused. At 15 weeks she(?) is way bigger than everybody else, even my jersey giants. Has way way bigger comb and wattles. Only my columbian rock has a well a defined comb and wattles already but not nearly like the buff. All chicks ordered from hatchery sexed. Not crowing and no spurs. Likes to do the sneaky pants and come up behind you and watch what you are doing. When you realize that she(?) is there she kinda gives you the old one eye glare mad (I call it the piss-off look). Yet she doesn't seem to be the "big chick" in the coop. A little white easter egger is the dictator. Whats up with my girl? confused

#77855 - 10/09/03 05:00 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe the bird is a hemaphrodite?????? confused

#77856 - 10/09/03 12:18 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a heavier breed like a buff orpington 15 weeks of age would be very early for a rooster to start crowing yet, I would think maybe 20 weeks abd it could be even 25-26 weeks before he start crowing, I would watch to see if he/she trys to mate with anybody a lot and then you could be sure about whether its a boy or a girl. And gomers mommy, what breed is cornflower??And how old is she/he??I must say from what I have read that hemaphrodite is quite rare so I am guessing either you have a hen that is going to start laying very very soon or you have a rooster that is not crowing yet, like I said to chookers watch and see if cornflower is mating with any of the girls.

MotherClucker

#77857 - 10/09/03 01:46 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would guess that your hen is actually a rooster. While hatcheries' sexing methods are very accurate, they are not 100%. I orders 12 cornish-rock crosses and asked for all cockerels. I ended up with one pullet in the bunch.

You can look for sex feathers on him. The saddle feathers should start to be coming in now. They'll be at the base of the tail and will be quite pointy. In hens, they're very rounded and you can't tell the difference between them and the back feathers. Which is why people say hens do not get saddle feathers. You can also look at the hackle feathers(neck feathers) for the same thing. Males will have pointer feathers and females will have rounded, but still somewhat pointy feathers.

The best indicator is the comb and wattles. Males' combs will grow large fast and they will be much redder than pullets. As a general rule, pullets' combs and wattles will not turn red until they're ready to lay.

#77858 - 10/10/03 08:02 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you are probably right Monarch. But I would have to add my columbian rock to the "He" list as well. Bright red comb and wattles though he is the same size as the other chickens. frown Sadly - if you crow - you go (to the big soup pot in the sky that is). I sure wish I could keep one of them if they turn out to be roo's. But my neighbors would all have a cow laugh They want nothing to disturbe the peace.

#77859 - 10/10/03 08:36 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's really unfortunate. I always loved the roosters because they have so much more character than the hens. Not to mention so much more color!

#77860 - 10/10/03 09:15 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Tell me about it. I just got a visit from the town Health Inspector. She got a complaint about Jerry. Dollars to donuts it was that seahag down the street. She won't let her kids even look at them because she thinks they're diseased. So now I've got to find a good home for him. My sister-in-law in Laconia knows someone that might be able to take him for me. His wife established the first no-kill animal shelter in NH. Hubby's gonna kill me, I'm crying on his keyboard. When the lady told me that he had to go, I just starting crying and told her that I raised him from a chick. And I have to get a license for Slifer and Obelisk. And a visit from the Dog Officer. How am I going to tell Mike? This just sucks. frown

#77861 - 10/10/03 10:02 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm really sorry to here that SC. I know from experience how evil neighbors can be. I had to coop up my guineas because a neighbor complained that they were eating their strawberries! That ticked me off royally!

Out of curiousity, what was the complaint about? If it was because they're diseased, you could probably take them to a vet and let them have a complete physical.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've heard so much about Jerry and now you have to get rid of him.

If you find out that lady's email address, I'll glad email her and tell her to grow up and get a life!

#77862 - 10/10/03 12:43 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Spotted Crow,

I am so sorry to hear about Jerry, I am shedding tears for you as well. I hope you can find a great home for him

#77863 - 10/10/03 01:28 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
They're not diseased. It was just that when Slifer first came, she was plucked to sh*t. She had no feathers on her back and her toes are crooked, so seahag presumed she was sick. :p
The complaint was about Jerry crowing. Mike's ready to kill her, resurrect her and kill her again. Not a good thing to hear from my 10-year old. But I concur. My sister-in-law just called and said that the guy can't take Jerry, because he already has a rooster. Crap!! She's still going to look around and I've heard of a farm in Methuen from someone here or on Poultry Connexion, so I'll look into that also. This really sucks chicken ploop with a silly straw. frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn