Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#77874 - 10/11/03 07:08 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roosters wil crow throughout the day... It's set off by light, though it isn't set off by just that....

#77875 - 10/12/03 05:48 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Chookers, that what I was doing also. I have the coop covered so that he can't see the first light. The only time that he crowed really early, before 7, was when the people behind us lost their dog and she turned on all the lights and scared everyone. This female is just making alot of trouble anyways. Too make matters worse, I was her only friend when she first came into the neighbourhood and she's the mother of my son's best friend. Grrr

#77876 - 10/12/03 11:32 AM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay everybody. My she is a HE laugh Let everybody out of the coop this morning and he crowed. A little patheticly(sp) mind you but a crow none the less. Scared all the girls back into the coop though. Very funny. I have a Buff Orp rooster. Now - I have to plan how I am going to keep him without annoying the whole neighborhood. Would keeping him in the coop till 8:00am prevent him from crowing before he is let out. No windows in the coop. I really want to keep him as long as he is a good Roo. Might even name him (Wally). Also we had a bear through the yard last night. Took down a whole bunch of fence right by the coop. But he didn't get in. And our wonder dog heard not a thing.

#77877 - 10/12/03 01:17 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Congrats on "Wally". I hope you'll be able to keep him. It's a lovely sound to wake up to, compared to kids yelling, car alarms, rubbish trucks...

#77878 - 10/12/03 03:00 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Anonymous
Unregistered

THis may be a dumb question but do they make rooster muzzles something so they can still eat and drink? just a thought.. good luck

#77879 - 10/13/03 12:03 PM Re: The "she" that may be a "he" but who knows
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

I wish... I was making rooster muzzles out of pipecleaners in my sleep all last night. :rolleyes:
Either Caponizing or Ce-Crowing is major surgery and no vet around here is likely to do it and there's no way I could do it myself.
Whitefoot, if I can't find a suitable home for him that won't use him for fighting practice or soup or rituals, then I will, as much as I love him, have him put down. That would be the worse case scenario, though. I have e-mails into the Humane Society, Nevin's Farm in Methuen and I'm going to call the Wildlife Center in Hingham and a couple of local farms tomorrow to see if they can give him a home. A girl at work suggested the local riding stable, too. So I'll try them also. I'm keeping my finger and toes crossed. My best friend lives down in Middletown, MD and I might just have to take a road trip...A witch and her rooster:what a sight...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn