Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#78061 - 12/09/06 08:33 PM Re: Incubator is crap! Any suggestions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, Jocelyn. I didn't know Seramas had a hard time losing water-- I would have thought the smaller egg size would mean problems with too little humidity. I'll let the water dry up, then, and check my 15 day old on Tuesday to see what's up. I'll post back then.

#78062 - 12/12/06 05:54 PM Re: Incubator is crap! Any suggestions?
Silly Goose Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
Has anyone tried a Brower incubator. They are around $100 and work great. I never could get my sitll air incubator to work but this one works great. Highly reccommended!!!

#78063 - 12/12/06 09:03 PM Re: Incubator is crap! Any suggestions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think a Brower incubator seems much better than the Hova-bator. They definately are targeting their information at Hova-bator users-- styrofoam, drilling holes, adding extensions, buying racks, replacing wafers, questioning heat source-- whew! Bless G.Q.F-- they've been in the business of providing incubators for a long time, but... this definately looks like a better product.
My Hova-bator is doing well, however. My 18 (almost 19) day old chick is looking fine-- air pocket is where it is supposed to be-- 100 degrees and 60 percent humidity inside. I took out an empty egg rack and I will place the egg in the bottom tomorrow and raise the humidity to 65 or a little more. I let my incubator dry out and dip to 35 percent humidity last night, so the other eggs should be able to withstand slightly higher humidity. I'll be on hand Friday to help the birthing process, if necessary.
I hope to have a great hatch, with lots of pictures, which I'll post here as they come.
I hope to bring great news Friday, instead of a desperate plea for help birthing a chick eek

#78064 - 01/03/07 04:32 PM Re: Incubator is crap! Any suggestions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My opinion: The Hovabator is not a piece of crap unless you have old/ misfunctioning discs. It does keep the temperature pretty steady if you're willing to check on it often. The wafers are not too expensive but it seems annoying to have replace them so often.

It is a pain in the a!& to clean, being styrofoam and having so many layers for germs to hide in.

The only cochin that hatched was the one that moved a lot in its egg. Probably not a coincidence. Another moved, but not much, and it died on term.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn