Topic Options
#78105 - 08/08/03 05:49 PM Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
I am new to keeping poultry and would very much appriciate some help with this.
I am wanting to keep silkies and was wondering what the space requirements would be for each bird
-in the coop?
-in the run?
I have also heard Silkies dont perch, is this so? If this is incorrect and they do perch how much should I allow for each bird on the perch?

Thanks
Shane

#78106 - 08/08/03 06:26 PM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is said by some that chickens should have at least 4sq.ft per bird. Larger is great. Yes, silkies perch, but birds are individuals and so some may not perch. I think most do if given the opportunity. When my silkies perch at night they like to huddle close together-even in warm weather. I would allow at least 12" of roost space per silkie. They do not fly well so the perch should be not much over 2 to 2 1/2 ft. or higher if you have blocks or buckets for them to climb up on gradually.

#78107 - 08/08/03 06:35 PM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My silkies will NOT perch. smile I have tried. I go out and try to put them up on the perch but they just flap and squalk and make a fuss. They all just huddle up on the floor in a big pile. It is very cute to see those fluffy little heads sticking up. smile

As to space inside and out... my general rule is 2 sq ft inside and 10 sq ft outside per bird. Some like more space outside but my silkies can come and go as they please so all they do indoors is sleep. They are outside as soon as the sun starts coming up and don't go in until almost dark. This is why I provide a good deal of space outside. smile

#78108 - 08/08/03 07:19 PM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine like to get out early also. They have lots and lots of space inside and out. Mine do roost tho. Maybe if they did not roost with their mom or were not given a perch very early in life, they just don't get it? Even my incubator silkies perch, but I give them a stick about 3 inches off the ground when they are several weeks old. They hop up and down all day. Then when they graduate to the big sikie coop they cry and cry, looking up at all the big kids. Eventurally they get up there. I give them stepping stones, boxes, buckets, ect. I have some 3 weeks old right now and their mom just started to perch again. Boy are they upset! They settle down together in a box eventually.

#78109 - 08/08/03 07:29 PM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!! To be honest I don't know if mine could even see the perch. Their top knots have gotten so big that they bump into stuff all the time. Funny but sad frown Our coop is fairly dark and I bet that combined with the topknot make the perch unseeable smile

#78110 - 08/08/03 07:46 PM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats interesting, looks like it all depends on how they are raised to whether or not they perch. Wonder if that sort of thing is peculiar to Silkies.
I'll build somewhere for them to perch just in case.
Thanks for the replies.

#78111 - 08/11/03 05:40 AM Re: Silkies, space requirements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a perch inside and outside (outside is an old tree branch) but they only use it during the day, just something else to do, and not all use them. They never sleep on the roosts through the night though! My silkies are strickly floor huddlers. All huddle together in a corner at night with the rooster at point on guard! laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn