Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#78147 - 04/22/08 09:00 AM Re: scratch vs. laying feed?
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Everyone has a right to their opinion of course and buying organic is just a form of assurance that you are in fact buying what you want and not buying what you don't want. By law, growers do not HAVE to put everything they put in the feeds or on the soils or plants that produce the feeds on the ingredient labels.

I agree that the work, time and cost is much higher in the production of organic feeds and that people might just go hungry. We moved to a farm from city life specifically for the reason of having more control over what goes into OUR food and the food of all our animals. We can raise our own livestock on our land which will have not had any pesticides and herbicides on it as that's what we choose to do. We are not going into business to sell to others as what most commercial farmers are doing and that is the only reason it is feasible for us, just to do it for our family.

The problem I find is that everything is driven by a fast food nation... we need more food we need our crops bigger to feed more people and to feed people with larger appetites etc. Farmers have to come up with this food quickly or they won't be in business. I don't have issues with commercial farming, my issues lie with what's driving commercial food production smile I also agree that diverse opinions are what make the world go 'round. Cheers!

#78148 - 04/22/08 09:25 AM Re: scratch vs. laying feed?
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
It is perhaps useful to make a distinction in terminology between choosing mates and inserting "glow in the dark" genes in tobacco plants. Geneticists usually call the first "selective breeding" and the second "genetic engineering". If you want to call them both genetic engineering, that is of course your choice, but many folks will not understand you.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn