Topic Options
#78220 - 07/21/05 04:15 PM My first egg....but a question...
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
One of my Ladies gifted me this afternoon with the first egg of the flock today smile I was so proud!! I rewarded them with a nice bowl of cut up greens as a treat smile

The question I have tho is this egg was laid very near the nesting box, in a corner where they had kicked the beddign away to the floor of the coop. I thought they would use the nesting box... there are two dummy eggs in there, weighted with sand and it is nice and roomy for them. I am hoping that since it was the first egg this was more of an oh...wow what is going on situation rather than a deliberate spot to choose.

I really want them to use the box... will they probably do it? IF not...what do I do?

Thank you....

Lissa

#78221 - 07/21/05 04:17 PM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

When the hens start laying, they don't really know what's happening, so you have to give them some credit.
For a while, they'll still continue to lay on the floor, but they will discover the nest box and know its purpose fairly quickly, the dummy eggs will help alot.
You have to give them some time, and congragulations!
(I found this comic yesterday)

#78222 - 07/21/05 04:22 PM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

I figured that was probably it...but I was panicking that they would be independent free thinking hens who decided they could be different lol

thanks so much....I do feel better now! smile

#78223 - 07/22/05 05:03 PM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

ugh... ok 2nd egg lol and in the same spot as the first.

Should I be concerned? And how can I get them to use the nesting box? There are dummy eggs already in there. This egg looks different than the first one...so maybe a different hen? It is lighter in color and a lot more egg shaped than the first lol

Thanks in advance for putting up with my newbie questions...

#78224 - 08/01/05 07:58 AM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said, you have to give them time, chickens aren't the smartest creatures in the world, but can be sometimes. It's only the second egg, my girls took half a week to realize the nest boxes were there. The dummy eggs are big help, they should notice them soon.

#78225 - 08/01/05 05:35 PM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
It sounds like they are choosing this spot. Is it a dark corner? Can you move the nest box to that corner and slowly move it back to where it was. If it was a oops it wouldnt be in a corner, i mean it could be, but seems unlikely...it could be under the roost, by the feed dishes or just laying around. 2 eggs in the same spot..it actually sounds like they moved the bedding to make a nest. You could also try to make the corner unfavorable...maybe put some bricks there until they are laying in the nest box regularly.

#78226 - 08/01/05 09:52 PM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

she decided to start using the nesting box now lol I have no idea why..I just opened the box and scared the crap outof her lol

I was a bit scared that she souldnt go back , but she has for 2 days now in the nesting box.

YAY!!

#78227 - 08/04/05 09:52 AM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yay laugh

#78228 - 08/09/05 11:04 AM Re: My first egg....but a question...
T. Yaap Offline
Feather

Wouldn't it be more like you scared the egg out of her? lol lol

#78229 - 08/09/05 11:32 AM Re: My first egg....but a question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

now that one Hen is using the Nesting Box the others should use her Example and lay there also.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn