Topic Options
#78254 - 05/12/04 10:47 AM yolk sac not absorbed
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my first time hatching chicks. Yesterday, the 20th day, a chick hatched completely on its own. The inside of the shell was bloody and the chick had a small (baby pea sized) bit of yolk sac protruding. As the chick moved around, more of the sac came out (a quarter+ sized blob). It died this morning. My question is - this chick made a bloody mess inside the incubator, getting blood on other eggs, and in the water for humidity. (I am using a hovabator.) Should my other eggs hatch, will there be contamination by the mess? Should I try to remove the chicks very soon after hatching to another (warmed) location to dry? Thanks.

#78255 - 05/12/04 11:29 AM Re: yolk sac not absorbed
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Leave the chicks in the incubator until they dry (aka fluff-out). Leave the incubator closed and don't keep opening it up to look inside. It is very important to keep the humidity up so that the chicks can hatch...if the humidity drops too low the chicks will have trouble getting out of the shell. It is difficult for beginners to understand that birds have been hatching without human help for tens of thousands of years so the best thing you can do is wait. Open the incubator on day 21.5 and take out the fluffed chicks and put them in a warm brooder (95F or 35C) with water and food. Take out fluffed chicks again at day 22, 22.5 and the last pull at day 23. Anything not out by day 23 usually will not make it. Not all baby animals survive the initial entry into the world...your first chick was one of those. If you are around birthing and hatching you will see this happen between 2% and 5% of the time. Sometimes entire hatches will be lost because of power failures or other abnormal occurances. Death is a naturally occuring part of life.

#78256 - 05/12/04 03:56 PM Re: yolk sac not absorbed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just adding-
Leave each chick in the bator for 12hrs.

#78257 - 05/12/04 05:08 PM Re: yolk sac not absorbed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your responses. While I know that it is ideal not to remove the wet chicks from the incubator until fluffed out. I was not sure how concerned I should be about the bloody conditions of the incubator left from that nonviable chick. I did not know if a bacterium could have been to blame for the chick's condition and, if so, how the potential bacterium would affect the newly hatched. My incubator does have a window, so I can observe without opening it up. However I do now have another question. What is the best way to clean up the incubator for its next use? I was planning on using a large aquarium for a brooder, what is a good cleaning agent for it?
Miche

#78258 - 05/12/04 05:10 PM Re: yolk sac not absorbed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your responses. While I know that it is ideal not to remove the wet chicks from the incubator until fluffed out. I was not sure how concerned I should be about the bloody conditions of the incubator left from that nonviable chick. It is kind of stinky from that bad chick (yes, he has long been removed.) I did not know if a bacterium could have been to blame for the chick's condition and, if so, how the potential bacterium would affect the newly hatched. My incubator does have a window, so I can observe without opening it up. However I do now have another question. What is the best way to clean up the incubator for its next use? I was planning on using a large aquarium for a brooder, what is a good cleaning agent for it?
Miche

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn