Topic Options
#78259 - 08/29/05 04:47 AM sexing chicks
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Hi, When I got my first chicks they were given to me and we (the lady and I) looked for any signs of them being male. We could not tell and now they are around 12 weeks old. Still not sure if we have any roos in the bunch but they are together in the same coop and pen. Is there a way to tell if they are pullets or roos other than them laying eggs, or getting caught in the act shocked I really don't want to have roos with my pullets at this time. Thank you for your help in this matter. laugh

#78260 - 08/29/05 08:25 AM Re: sexing chicks
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
By 12 weeks of age, most cockerels will be bothering the little pullets and it is easy to see them drag them by the neck feathers. Or you will see and hear the pullets trying to escape their attention.

Depending upon the breed you have, if a single comb breed, the boy's combs should be significantly larger by this age. Wattles, as well. The shape of the bird will also be indicating sex, but without knowing the breed, one cannot give you the identifying shapes. Even color and markings of some breeds will tell you quicky, but you did not identify your breed of birds.
You may be very lucky and just have the pullets you want! CJR

#78261 - 08/29/05 02:07 PM Re: sexing chicks
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Hi, As for the breed they are mixed I guess that is a big problem. I have some that are white and grey mixed, some that are a nice honey colour, and some that look like an amurcana (spelling?) mix. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would. I have 4 that she said were the amurcanas but one looks pretty different (we call her the ugly ducking), she is mostly grey with a little white mixed in and she is much smaller than the rest plus I do not see a rump on her. I have noticed that some are starting to get combs and wattles more than others, but have not seen them pulling on the known pullets. I will try to get pictures on this week and then maybe I will be able to find out for sure. Thanks smile

#78262 - 08/29/05 06:36 PM Re: sexing chicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only way I know by the time my chicks are 12 weeks is the combs and wattles - the dominant cockerel is usually the only one I have who bothers the pullets, and you can't rely on spurs at this age, all of them have a small bump on their legs which is the start of a spur, pullets included.
With most breeds, cockerels are bigger and more vertically build than hens. They stand straighter most of the time unless they're low on the heiarchy. (I've been playing w/ my chickens lately, 'studying' their behavior...kinda lol)
You can't rely on crowing either, hens will crow too, and even sometimes grow spurs.

#78263 - 08/29/05 08:54 PM Re: sexing chicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

the best way for me to be able to tell Pullets from Cockerels is by Hackle (neck feathers) and Saddle (the feathers near the base of the tail) Feathers. Roosters have long pointed Hackle and saddle feathers while Hens have rounded ones. Roosters also have longer sweeping tail feathers while Hens tend to have smaller ones.

#78264 - 08/30/05 05:46 AM Re: sexing chicks
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks, I will check out their feathers more closely. We have a roo and I see what you mean about the feathers but, he is older not sure how old as he was abandoned and then given to us as they could not keep him.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn