Topic Options
#78302 - 04/06/08 04:35 PM ideal height of nest boxes?
Jennie Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
I could not find info under search for this question. Sorry if its a repeater. Is there an ideal height for nest(laying)boxes or can they be located at the floor level? Thanks Jen smile

#78303 - 04/06/08 06:37 PM Re: ideal height of nest boxes?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I think it all depends on the breed or breeds you raise. For example, lighter breeds such as Leghorns have no difficulty flying up to nests that are placed 4 feet off the floor, whereas heavier breeds such as Brahmas or Cochins might not be able to fly more than a couple of feet. The nests for my Silkies are placed on the floor in one of the corners of their pens, but the nests for my Leghorns are placed about 42 inches off the floor.

#78304 - 04/06/08 06:39 PM Re: ideal height of nest boxes?
Jennie Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
Thank you Rhea. I am referring to your basic store bought layers smile

#78305 - 04/06/08 09:45 PM Re: ideal height of nest boxes?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
As long as the nests are somewhat darkened and sort of private, the lighter "store bought layers" don't really care what the height is. By having them up off the floor, more space is given for moving about in the coop and for feeders, etc. If up high, it is good to have a slanted board over the top of then nest boxes, so the hens can neither sleep in the boxes nor sit on top where they will poop. A roost to land on before entering the nests is easy for the hens. And then the night roosts can be above a shelf and above the nest boxes and keep the night poop collection in one place, easy to clean now and then, keeping it off the floor. CJR

#78306 - 04/16/08 08:50 PM Re: ideal height of nest boxes?
Chook Boy Offline
Feather

Loc: Australia
We use to have our next box on the floor but during rainy days or when the chicken get bored they start to scratch out all the content inside the nest making it not an ideal place to lay their eggs. What I did to overcome this was, I lifted the nest box up and pop bricks under all around and had some flat wood in front of the box for the baby chicks to clime in / out. Never had any trouble since...

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn