Topic Options
#78349 - 12/06/05 10:59 AM not wanting layer granules
Ozark Rose Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arkansas
Does anyone have any "tricks" for getting there free range hens to eat layer granules? I have a few that eat them. They like cat food; so I've tried mixing the 2 together hoping the granules would take on the odor without much result. I've recently tried calf manna, which they sure don't love but wold take in their mouth and either eat or spit out (I think they don't like the hard pellet). They get scratch, scraps, and pasture (we have green grass somewhere even through the winter in the Ozarks), so I tell myself not to worry ... they will "self medicate". Any other suggestions on an inexpensive mineral supplement I could try?

#78350 - 12/06/05 11:26 AM Re: not wanting layer granules
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you want them to eat the crumbles (Layer Ration?) just withhold the Scratch and scraps. They just like that better, just like kids like candy and pizza. They do not know what is best for them.

My birds will not eat pellets of any kind. Mash is hardly available any more, not really very palitable, and I would not offer it as long as crumbles are available.

Not to worry, if you are satisfied with egg production or growth of young birds. Cat food is expensive and not necessary if they eat their Layer Ration, which is a complete feed. Can you lock them in their coop with just the Layer Ration? Otherwise, "not to worry". CJR

#78351 - 12/07/05 05:17 PM Re: not wanting layer granules
Karla Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
if they are free ranging, i dont think its absolutly necessary that they eat layer ration. i do agree that you should stop giving scrath and other goodies if you really want them to eat the ration, but as long as theyre healthy, it shouldnt be a problem.

#78352 - 12/09/05 09:31 PM Re: not wanting layer granules
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious how many chickens you have? My chickens seem to eat what the other chickens eat and try to eat it all before the others do. Mine don't like pellets at all, but I've noticed if that's all there is they have been known to lower their standards if they think the other guy is going to get it and they are not. They seem to prefer dog food and wild bird seed more also. The only trick I have that works, is I keep the dog food in the house where they can't get it and I buy crumbles which I raised them on. Sounds weird, but have you tried switching brands? I had goats that loved sweet feed from one company, but would have to be good and hungry before they would eat the sweet feed from another company.

#78353 - 12/10/05 10:49 AM Re: not wanting layer granules
Anonymous
Unregistered

my chickens didn't like layer either(first time I tried layer) turned out that stuff had gone bad(didn't look or smelled different though) and they ate the new batch I bought right away.

#78354 - 12/12/05 10:59 AM Re: not wanting layer granules
Ozark Rose Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arkansas
I have over 50 birds and each has their own likes & dislikes. I've tried different brands of the layer with no better response but after the first week or so, I am having better luck with the calf manna (even though it is a pellet!). I've raised/trained/shown horses for over 10 years, and I have learned there is NO benefit to FORCING and animal to eat something it doen't like. I asked this questions to see if there might be a "trick" someone had used to improve the paletabilty of the layer.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn