Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#78437 - 08/04/06 03:01 PM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
We've used peanut butter, bacon, french fries, sometimes a little bit of cheese with ketcup on it...but usually the last one doesn't work. We've had the greatest success with bacon. I forgot one! Stink bait! We've used stink bait on the traps before and it worked great. These rats/mice are just too smart for us and the traps! I didn't even think about the kitten getting caught! I doubt she will though, these traps are placed in very, very small spaces where I've seen rodent droppings. I can't reach up to the roof, so I can't even imagine how many are up there!

Mikaela

#78438 - 08/04/06 11:32 PM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
jrsygntbrdr1,

I don't know if your father would go for it, but 2 female kittens would work very well for a number of reasons.

2 would double the amount of mice caught, they would give each other courage, comfort & hunt together too.

A cardboard box works very well for a little house. Corrugated cardboard is warm. Get one that has a top & bottom that fit together, like a orange box. Cut a hole in it & put a towel or blanket piece and Tink can crawl in & be cozy.

Karen

#78439 - 08/05/06 07:33 AM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
NW Chix Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington
I've had success with scented mousetraps that you don't have to bait. They do catch mice with much less hassle. While the live traps can catch more mice at a time, I'd rather they be dead before I get there (although I have had to put a few out of their misery.) The trap is in our barn area just outside the coop near the wall. I put an old rubbermaid type dishpan over it. The mice can get under it, but I don't have to worry about a loose chicken getting hurt.

#78440 - 08/07/06 06:31 AM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Silly Goose Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
Two Words: Rat Bait! Just make sure your animals don't get into it! wink

#78441 - 08/07/06 06:32 AM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Silly Goose Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
You could also use a have-a-heart trap. They work great, just put an egg or some peanut butter. Rats love it!

#78442 - 08/07/06 12:40 PM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

sillygoose, I'm not going to use rat bait because my birds like to eat the mice they catch. If the mice are eating the bait, then it could eventually poison my birds who would catch and eat, or just find and eat the dead mouse/rat. It would sort of defeat the purpose! LOL! We've tried those "Have a Heart" traps where the door opens one way, but not the other so the mouse can't get it. In order for it to work, the mouse has to be dumber than the trap. Apparently, our mice are not only big, but geniuses!

We found out something today! We know where our eggs have been going! No snakes, but I just figured the birds were either eating their own eggs, or accidentally stepping on them. Nope! A huge rat had been getting into the coop, and biting into the eggs. Then, the hens would accidentally step on the empty eggs and give me the evidence that they had broken their own eggs! At least now I know who has been breaking the eggs!

Mikaela

#78443 - 08/07/06 03:29 PM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
John in WA Offline
Chick

Loc: Washington
take some fencing material and section off a part if the coop and lay some posion pellets along the wall. Just a little so that it is all gone by morning. continue this until some is left in the morning.

I had a huge problem last fall/winter. Posion was the only way to stop it. they were to fast/smart for traps. (both live and snap kind).

Most rats will take the poison back to the den. I found very few out in the open that were dead and my birds left them alone.

#78444 - 11/26/06 07:38 PM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Took me awhile to refind this one! I wanted to give an update on my cat. She is now 5 months old, and small for her age. She is getting fat and has killed multiple squirrels and sparrows. I've also found bones from small mammals...and have seen her pouncing in the chicken pen at night. I'm so happy! Now if we could only let her in the house to kill the ones in there! Thanks goodness for Labradors in the house for that one!

Only problem is that she sees it as her mission in life to "JUMP" at the chickens. She never touches them, but likes to jump at them and watch them fly above her head. The only bird that doesn't jump is my old Production Red hen that likes to "fight" Tinkerbell. Should I be worried about Tinkerbell jumping at the birds. It's mostly the Minorcas and the youngsters she likes to jumps at...but she never touches them. She also likes to see the Brahma cockerel jump. It's sort of funny if you watch for awhile.

Even though she has had plenty of chances to kill chicks because they have been outside of the pen, she has never even chased the babies. Only the big birds that can fly. She's a very odd cat...she also likes to take dustbaths just like the chickens and I have YET to see her groom herself!

#78445 - 11/27/06 05:39 AM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Maybe she thinks she is a chicken. I have one cat who definitely thinks she's a dog. LOL!

She's a risk to chicks, but I'm betting the rest of what you describe isn't a problem. I think at her age, she's just fascinated and playing. It's hard to say for sure though, via cyberspace. My cats LOVE to watch the chicks. They'll sit there fascinated like they're watching their own special version of Cat TV. But once my birds get to be about 8 weeks old, the cats have access to them, and all I have ever seen is them watching. Once the birds are older, they're bored with it. But I'm sure age is a factor with your kitty. She's still very young and at a very playful stage. I'd keep an eye on her, for sure, but I'm betting it's all okay.

I'm glad to hear an update and it's nice to know she's doing her job out there!

#78446 - 11/27/06 06:27 AM Re: Need help with mice and rats!
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
My grandmother had a black snake that hung out in front of the chicken coop.
She would put a saucer of milk down for it daily it stayed around and ate the mice not messing with the eggs or chicks...
I have a large black snake we named George. He's about 6 feet long. We have lots of mice, hawks, owls...
I don't want to poison because I know it will get back to our dogs...
sticky traps never worked for me.

I'm scared if I get a cat my husky will kill it.

I did however get a trap and put poison in it that would keep the mice inside, but my dog broke into it and ate some of the poison.

Still trying to figure out what to do.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn