Topic Options
#78504 - 06/05/05 04:15 PM how to make a watering tray
Anonymous
Unregistered

HELLO anyone on line right now!

We are ONE HOUR into chicken ownership!
Struggled mightily all week-end to get fence done and henhouse built.

Thought we could just use a tray for water.

It's 2 pm here, not too hot, JOHN, the fellow who sold us our 25 1 year old hens, said just go ahead and leave them in the henhouse all day so's they'd be used to it and come back to it next evening. He also said don't put water in an open tray.

It's Sunday, nothing is open, and we're ALL CASHED out from the multiple unexpected expenses of construction.

CAN WE DEVISE A HOME MADE WATERER????

#78505 - 06/05/05 05:32 PM Re: how to make a watering tray
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
The thing with an open watering tray is they walk all over it. I use 1 gallon chick waters from the feed store, less then 4 bucks a piece. for 25 hens i would get at least 2. Its a nessacary expense. Chickens cant go with out water and if they do their egg production can be messed up permenatly. Right now till tomorrow just use the tray. Doesnt mater if it isnt too hot, hot or cold every creature gets thirsty. Also i would leave them in the hen house for at least a week, one day is not enough to make them know where home is, unless they are in a pen and not free ranging. If they are let out into a pen attacked to the coop then letting them out should be ok, it would be easy to herd them in. If you are letting them free range keep them in for a week.

#78506 - 06/05/05 07:59 PM Re: how to make a watering tray
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi, lacy...thanks for being fast and on-topic! It really helped.

They have water in kitchen pans

they are on about 1/8 acre which is enclosed with 4 foot 1" mesh chicken wire, so I guess we'll let them out in the morning

we'll try to find some plastic waterers...John only told us about the metal kind

#78507 - 06/05/05 10:25 PM Re: how to make a watering tray
Chilly Chick Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
Do you have plastic buckets? Any easy & cheap waterer....you need 2 buckets. A larger bucket that doesn't need a lid & a smaller one with a lid that will fit inside the bigger one. & a hole saw.

You're going to cut the top off the bigger bucket, so there's only maybe 4 inches left. Use a small hole saw(or large drill bit) to cut a hole near the top of the small bucket. The small bucket is the resevoir, turn it upside down (with the lid on) into the tray you cut the larger bucket into. The water will rise to the top of the hole as long as it's set somewhere fairly level.

The cheap plastic waterers are ok, but the resevoirs are really small so you have to fill them often. This way you won't have to worry about it so often. Cheap too!
Hope this helps.
Tara

#78508 - 06/05/05 11:35 PM Re: how to make a watering tray
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm... the smaller, inner bucket - i fill it with water, put the lid on it, and turn it upside down in the one that's 4 inces deep?

does that mean the HOLE in the inner bucket has to be below that 4 inch height once it's upside down?
and would it have to be placed upside down?

#78509 - 06/06/05 07:18 AM Re: how to make a watering tray
Chilly Chick Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
yes, yes & yes! If you have ever seen a store bought waterer, this is how they work. There's a resevoir in the middle with some sort of opening into a tray that goes all the way around the resevoir. The ones you buy have to be flipped over after filling too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn