Topic Options
#78510 - 07/26/05 07:33 AM Rejected Rooster
Scott Stumpner Offline
New Egg

Loc: Missouri
Hey everybody, I have been visiting this web site for about 4 months to learn more about raising chickens. It has been quite helpful. I have a problem that I have not been able to find any info on and it may seem a little crazy but don't know what else to do. I bought 20 pullets in March of this year (Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, Buff Orpingtons, and Wyandottes) Two of them ended up to be roosters. That had not been a problem untill a couple of weeks ago when the roosters became (active). The roosters seem to get along together ok but, the hens only want to submit to the RIR not the Wyandotte which has caused an uproar in my hen house. The RIR is the dominant rooster and the hens seem to like him and will follow him everywhere. I have had to keep the Wyandotte separate from the rest because he really upsets the hens. He is really a nice rooster and I feel sorry for him and I'm not sure how to fix this problem. My question, (here goes) can you have a rooster neutered???. We have grown attached to all our birds and would like to keep them all if possible. If anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks

#78511 - 07/26/05 02:16 PM Re: Rejected Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
You can, however, it is a very invasive operation. It is called caponizing. I do not suggest doing the operation though. It is used mainly for putting weight on the birds for butcher so the bird may and probably will gain more weight. The only real way to fix your problem is to separate the two roosters. The in-charge male is keeping the other male from breeding with his females. By doing this, he may also hurt your pet Wyandotte roo. Good luck and keep us posted.

#78512 - 07/26/05 03:59 PM Re: Rejected Rooster
Scott Stumpner Offline
New Egg

Thanks for the reply, I did not think it would be a very good idea. But, you are right about the Wyandotte cock being very agressive with the hens. He seems to want to breed so bad that he just attacks the hens and upsets the whole hen house. It's constant chaos with him in there. I just feel bad for him because he does not like to be alone, and none of the hens seem to like him because he is so rough with them. Thanks so much for your thoughts on the subject

#78513 - 07/26/05 09:53 PM Re: Rejected Rooster
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Generally speaking, RIR roos are among the more aggressive breeds. Is your rooster nice to you and to the hens? You may be able to try separating some hens for your Wyandotte rooster and they may get to like him better. If you do this and try to reintroduce the rooster and "his" hens back into the original flock, there will be fighting among the males. He may not be the subordinate one this time, but you will just have the same problem with your RIR rooster.

Could you separate any hens to go with him? Some of his breed? Just wondering. That may be why you posted about neutering though! lol!

#78514 - 07/27/05 07:26 AM Re: Rejected Rooster
Scott Stumpner Offline
New Egg

Hello again. Yes, the RIR cock is nice to us and the hens. We pick up and pet all the chickens daily to help keep them use to us. Some of them just love it and will close their eyes and fall asleep while you rub on them. I did separate the Wyandotte rooster with a couple of his own breed but, he had to chase them down; and they still did not want to submit, and he ended up making one of them bleed on her comb. I felt sorry for the hens, so I put them back with the RIR. With him they don't fight and it's over quickly. I'm not sure what we are going to do with him long term because we don't have any place we can keep him this winter unless I build another coop. I just completed this one and have about $1,700 invested. It's all insulated and has electrical outlets and a 55'X 25' fully enclosed outdoor run. I didn't intend to go that far with it at the start, but it was one of those projects that just kept growing. The coop is nicer than the old farmhouse that I live in, but I'm working on that too. Thanks again for your thoughts and kindness.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn