Topic Options
#78586 - 10/16/06 11:59 AM How to re-introduce chick?
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
My chicken - 4 months old - was very sick and I isolated her until she got better - about 2 1/2 weeks. Now, she is ready to be "re-introduced" back into her flock of 13 others. What is the best way to do this so she doesn't get hurt by the other chicks? Thanks.

#78587 - 10/16/06 12:08 PM Re: How to re-introduce chick?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
For starters, I'd try just putting her back in on a day when you can hang around and keep an eye on things - a pretty day when they are all outside (assuming yours have an outdoor pen) so that there's plenty of room. I'm betting you won't have any problems. It would be normal for some of them to go after her just a bit. They do have to work out their pecking order. But as long as nobody truly hurts her, things should be calm after just a little while.

#78588 - 10/16/06 02:07 PM Re: How to re-introduce chick?
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
I usually take out two more and put them with her for a few days.
Then introduce all three or four back with the rest so they won't single out one to pick on.
Works every time.

#78589 - 10/17/06 10:45 PM Re: How to re-introduce chick?
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I use Susie's method--I've never had any trouble.

#78590 - 10/17/06 11:30 PM Re: How to re-introduce chick?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
If you can, pop her straight onto the perch after dark when the others are already in bed. Make sure you get up early the next morning just to monitor behaviour. There is likely to be a ringleader or two if there is any picking being done. I would take them out for a days isolation if they persist. Another method is to have her safe in her own cage alongside for a few days before mixing them, so they can get used to each other, otherwise Rack's method also works well but don't select bossy ones to put with her.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn