Topic Options
#78816 - 01/20/06 06:18 PM Egg size?
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
I know that pullets lay small eggs at first and then they lay bigger ones. My question is how long does it take before the big ones come and how big should they get? I have RIR's mainly, they eat layer feed and some treats like cracked corn, veggis, greens from the garden and such. Also, I give them grit and oyster shell every couple of days. I did get about 4 jumbo sized eggs over so many days, but no more. Now, other than the small pullet egg here and there the eggs are between a medium and large egg size. They have only been laying about 1 1/2 months. Thank you for your input on this matter.

#78817 - 01/21/06 01:30 PM Re: Egg size?
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
When it comes to egg size, I've noticed the JUMBO eggs begin around a year of age.

Also, if you've started your new hens just before winter and don't add artificial light which prompts them to lay early, they will spend the short winter days and long nights maturing. Their first eggs will come as days lengthen in spring.

So, the pullets left with the natural lighting schedule will lay larger and more consistently in the spring.

Pullets which start to lay around their 5th month as most of my Rhode Island Reds are apt to do, start off with small eggs and take some months before the size gets where they should be.

I also prefer not to hatch from hens which are under a year old, you'll get larger chicks and ultimately better birds (">

#78818 - 01/21/06 07:02 PM Re: Egg size?
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Thanks for the info. Most of my birds are laying, but I do not sit there to watch so not sure which one's are not. I have 26 and the most I have received in one day is 21 eggs. Thanks again.

#78819 - 01/26/06 10:53 AM Re: Egg size?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 30 RIR's, there almost one year old, some started laying about 20+ weeks old and some have just now started. there are now some jumbos, but there are some that have just started laying. Be patient, they will do there thing in good time. With spring and the time change, there will be more eggs than I can give away.
Good luck.

GM

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn