Topic Options
#78927 - 08/06/03 12:28 PM Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am using a baby pool as a brooder (w/ cardboard sides). Do i put newspaper down under the pine shavings to keep them from the slippery surface of the pool. How long is the slippery surface in the pool a hazard? Also, do i put newspaper on top of the shavings to help them find the food (and to keep them from eating the pine) for a few days? How long?

#78928 - 08/06/03 12:47 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Newspaper is also more slippery than you want. What i use is an old bed sheet, or a few towels, something with some texture to it.

#78929 - 08/06/03 03:02 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I agree with YoYo. Something easier to grip. Slick surfaces can cause leg problems. About 3 days is fine. Be sure they have small chick grit before putting them on shavings.

Bill

#78930 - 08/06/03 03:31 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So after 3 days....they are fine in the pool with pine shaving and nothing else for traction?

The fine grit....I thought they only needed that if I were feeding them anything else other then chick starter. I was told I couldn't give anything but chick starter, then I could give treats (fruit, cereal, etc. Is this right, or do I need grit for them right away?

Thanks.

#78931 - 08/06/03 03:45 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
After 3 days they should have figuered out that food is in the feeder and wont need anything down to scatter food on. You are right that they dont need grit for thier starter ration, but some have had trouble with them eating small bits of pine and without grit they cant digest it and it plugs them up. I had one chick that grew up on saw dust :rolleyes: every time you saw it, it was picking at the stuff. I start giving grit when I put them on litter. Just sprinkle ontop of thier food once a day as if salting it. Some have said thier starter contians sand for grit. Mine does not.

Bill

Bill

#78932 - 08/06/03 04:14 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I let my little ones have chick starter right away and then after a week, I added the smallest grade grit I could get (like lightly salting food). They did fine. I would wait on the other stuff (scraps, scratch and such) until 6-8 weeks. Just a thought. Get them eating their feed and drinking water (I added a vitamin supplement to the water) and used to that before adding extra "treats". Good Luck. Sue

#78933 - 08/06/03 04:51 PM Re: Can you use news paper in the brooder?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
3 days is just an estimate. If you see any legs slipping out sideways, you must keep them on a rough surface longer. But you are only safe with them in the pool for a little while anyway. They will be flying up and over the sides of your cardboard sooner than you can imagine! They need watching! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn