Topic Options
#79071 - 07/23/08 12:26 PM Population Explosion - Silky Chicks
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

Loc: Illinois
In the last four weeks I have had 60 baby Silky Chicks hatch. I only have 8 hens and 2 roosters. I didn't think I would have so many babies. I have baby chicks every where. This is my first experience with baby chicks. I need to know what, when, where and why? How can I tell the males from the females and when do I have to seperate the two or do I just let them grow up all together? When should I take them off of medicated chick food and give them regular feed? I am going through 100lbs of feed a week right now and they still act like I'm starving them. I must say that I am having the time of my life. They are the cutest and most intersting little creatures I have encountered and I feel blessed. I still haven't figured out where to house all of them. I need all the advice I can get. Thank you.

#79072 - 07/23/08 04:30 PM Re: Population Explosion - Silky Chicks
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
The correct spelling is Silkie.

As for being able to determine males from females, you'll probably have to wait until they're at least a couple of months old; even then you may not be able to tell which are pullets and which are cockerels. Silkies can be difficult to sex at an early age, unless you know what you're looking for. You don't have to worry about separating them until the males begin to mature sexually and start harrassing the females, which will probably be 3-4 months old.

Keep feeding them medicated chick starter until the pullets begin to lay. That will be several months from now, probably when they are 5-6 months old. Then switch to a complete layer feed.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn