Topic Options
#79216 - 07/25/03 08:47 AM rooster in nest box?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need your help in a hurry! As we speak, I have 2 pair of Bantam Cochin Birchens for sale. They are 5 months old. I looked on the McMurray Hatchery web site for pictures of Birchens as adults and I would swear these two are roos. So you can imagine my surprise when I entered the coop this morning to find one of the "boys" sitting in a nesting box. He/she was fluffing the straw, doing that little cackle thing etc. When another hen entered the coop, he/she got out of the nesting box and did that little jiggle/sideways dance toward the other chicken. When the other chicken left, he/she went back into the nest box for about 5 minutes and then left to go play outside. What gives? Have you ever heard of this in a roo? Or is this a hen? Or is this a chicken with a real problem?

#79217 - 07/25/03 08:59 AM Re: rooster in nest box?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Sometimes roosters get in nest boxes. I have one roo who does this frequently. They might sit there (heck, I've had one sit on eggs for a couple of hours before!) and they might try to call the girls to the nest. A hen is more receptive to breeding right after laying an egg so supposedly the rooster might try to entice them to get in the box and lay.

Susie

#79218 - 07/25/03 01:44 PM Re: rooster in nest box?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Yea.. it took me by surprise the first time my roo was in the nest box too. That little side dance is a rooster dance though..LOL laugh .

Bill

#79219 - 07/25/03 02:09 PM Re: rooster in nest box?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep....he's a rooster all right. Susie, Bill you are right. I went into the coop again this afternoon. HE was in the nest box again. One of the girls walked in and just stood there staring at him. It was hillarious. If I could have read her mind!!!! Then he plops down to the ground and mounts (or whatever the appropriate word is for chickens {let me know so I won't embarrass myself in the future})her. Was she ever surprised! But at least I now know I can sell as pairs. Thanks for the input. I don't know what I would do without this site.

#79220 - 07/26/03 04:15 AM Re: rooster in nest box?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
LOL..aside from breeding, comedy is the best reason for having a roo laugh ! To mount or mate are two common terms used for the rooster deed.

Bill

#79221 - 07/26/03 05:47 AM Re: rooster in nest box?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Magnolia,
Yes, my cochin roosters do this alot. I was very surprized to see this when they did it at first. Mine do exactly as you all have said. Even sitting on the eggs like Susie's did. They really amaze me, they are so funny.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn