Topic Options
#79321 - 06/09/06 11:08 AM eggs after broody
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Hi, Are the first eggs after breaking broody small in size? I just broke 2 broodies and yesterday I had the smallest egg ever laid. Next question, how long after breaking broody will they lay again? Not for sure who layed it (post broody or not). Thanks.

#79322 - 06/09/06 11:47 AM Re: eggs after broody
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Teenies are a fluke and can happen with any hen at any time and are usually a one time thing. Old hens may lay them more often than young birds. Small eggs and "teenies" are two different things.

Usually a hen will start to lay within 2 weeks after breaking a set and sometime hens will start to lay again, even while still raising their chicks, if they are left with them for 5-6 weeks. They start to peck away their young and it is time to separate them. You just must be patient. Some hens will moult after set--some do not--they are individuals! Their first eggs after they are ready to lay again, are just like their best they laid before setting. They are getting ready for another "set" CJR

#79323 - 06/09/06 12:59 PM Re: eggs after broody
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Thanks CJR, No moulting as of yet, so far I have managed to break 2 broodies and it has been 1 and 2 weeks. Have one more to break, but was wondering about the small egg. No way to know who laid it so thought I would ask the experts. Thanks again smile

#79324 - 06/09/06 05:17 PM Re: eggs after broody
Spotted Tail Offline
Bantam

Loc: Minnesota
Yep, you may get a few smaller eggs after a broody hen starts laying again.
I also noticed this phenonomen, and did some trapnesting to confirm it.
They should return to normal size pretty soon.

spot

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn