Topic Options
#79459 - 07/13/04 06:26 PM orpingtons and first eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have both black and buff orpington (standard) chickens. My poulets are about 4.5 to 5 months now. The cockerels are big and dark red combed now. Some are trying to mate. Some of the poulets are starting to comb red now. I was told that orpingtons are slower to mature. Would I be getting eggs in 6 months or later...anyone raising orpingtons please give me a hand here.

Mike

#79460 - 07/13/04 07:30 PM Re: orpingtons and first eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, I don't raise or even have any Orpingtons (I would like a few though) but most Hens start to lay between the age's of Five and Six months of age. I had a really late Hen that started to lay when she was about seven or eight months though. it kind of all depends on the Hen. good luck and I hope that you start getting eggs soon!

#79461 - 07/14/04 02:50 PM Re: orpingtons and first eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rachel:

Thanks for your response. I was told that orpingtons might be later starters. I don't know. I have pullets that are 5 months and 4 months. I will just have to wait and see.

Have a great day,
Mike

#79462 - 07/14/04 07:25 PM Re: orpingtons and first eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

your welcome. if they do start to lay later then other breeds of Hens then you would probably start to get eggs between the age's of Five and a half months to six months, but I really don't know when a Orpington starts to lay her first eggs. but like I said before it all depends on the Hen.

#79463 - 07/14/04 09:41 PM Re: orpingtons and first eggs
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
My Orpington was the last to start laying at about 7 months.

Give the girls time, big things like that need the time and is it me or do they do everything a bit slower? I think they are awesome. (massive feed to lay ratio though, she can consume big time!)

#79464 - 07/15/04 03:46 PM Re: orpingtons and first eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you both for your information. I notice my birds eat a lot too. I am trying to keep them on a pellet grain instead of mash or crumbles. I noticed they eat it all up and waste a lot less. Mash was for me not the right choice, they made a mess of it and wasted tons.

Have a great day. I have a cockerel mating my pullet now two days in a row. The pullet does not fight him off like the others. I guess she, at 5 months, is getting ready to lay. I hope to see some nice eggs from her. She is a large pullet and he is a large cockerel, both are black orps.

Have a great day,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn