Topic Options
#79517 - 11/14/03 05:40 PM A couple of questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All: I haven't been on for a long time and have missed the chatter. My oldest son passed away in August and I haven't felt much like being human.
I have a couple of questions. First...is my rooster ever going to assert/defend himself? The girls are going to peck his butt bald! (We have one very aggressive hen that we are considering getting rid of. She is very mean. When you gather eggs, she will grab on and draw blood!) We have tried separating him from the hens, but we live in the northern half of Minnesota and do not have the room for him to be warm and alone in a bachelor pad for the winter.
I also have a hen whose eggs are getting better, but she has been laying very bloody eggs (on the outside of the shell) all week. No other signs of trouble. She left a few drops of blood in one of the nesting boxes, but no blood on her.
Appreciate any information.
Sue

#79518 - 11/15/03 04:09 AM Re: A couple of questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so sorry about your son frown

#79519 - 11/15/03 02:56 PM Re: A couple of questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sue, my condolences.

You mentioned that you miss the chatter.

You might like this prior post (not that I understand most of it :p )

The old why did the chicken cross the road?

G-d Bless

#79520 - 11/15/03 04:35 PM Re: A couple of questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Sue,

My condolences on the loss of your son.

As for the mean spirited bird(s), have you considered nipping off some of the upper beak so that it can't latch on and draw blood?

You could put blue cote on the male or scarlet oil, to stop the picking. Also, using a red colored light may reduce the urge on the part of the other birds because they wouldn't see the blood as well.

Regarding the bloody hen, if she's just coming into lay for the first time or if she's just begining to lay again after having molted, she may just be streching a bit and tearing. She should be just fine in another week or so. As long as the bleeding is onl when she's laying, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't take a turn for the worst. If her health does start to decline, there may be another problem not related to egg laying.

Hope this was helpful, best wishes.
Dan

#79521 - 11/16/03 07:20 AM Re: A couple of questions
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
My condolences on the loss of your son also.

#79522 - 11/17/03 05:24 PM Re: A couple of questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, my chicken friends!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn