Topic Options
#79667 - 07/15/04 02:11 PM Night time stuff
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm new to Chicken keeping and have just bought 3 new 23 week olds. I have a 1m x 1m Arc with a 3m x 4m run. I have no problem with predators (Yet and hopefully not). But I'm unsure if I should close the Arc up at night and keep the chickens couped up ;o\ or leave the door to the Arc open so they can get back into the run at first light. The Run is secure so no issues there. If I do lock them in at night do you then put water in the Arc.

#79668 - 07/15/04 06:04 PM Re: Night time stuff
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the run is secure against predators, I don't see any reason to close them into the arc. I would close them in until they learn to roost in there, however. But make sure your run really is predator proof. I don't know where you are, but I know I was surprised at how many creatures are lurking out there in the dark, and you don't want to find out about it the hard way.

#79669 - 07/15/04 06:24 PM Re: Night time stuff
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Why not keep food and water in the Ark all the time? They will then come in earlier at night. If they were mine, I would lock them in the Ark at night. Better be safe than sorry. One loss is too many. Predators can often find a way to enter a run or pen. CJR

#79670 - 07/16/04 12:36 AM Re: Night time stuff
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Space Lady & CJR for the fast response, I'm in UK and close to woods, but the run is very secure withe trellis and netting. But I'll take the advice and close them in with water.

Thanks!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn