Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#79711 - 09/08/05 07:42 AM CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the closest gentic relatives of the PEAFOWL ? What other species has it been crossbred with that produced fertile offspring ? If any of you are involved in inter species cross breeding progams OR HAVE BRED SOME ACCIDENTALLY, contact me privately at seedyseed@hotmail.com . This subject upsets some people . However , if God didn't want different specices to crossbreed mules would not have been mentioned in the bible , and he would have made interspecies crossbreeding impossible which it isn't!
The U.S. GOVERNMENT & THE U.S.D.A. have tried to cross chickens with turkeys and with ring-necked pheasants both failed . there are experiments with zebra x donkey and horse and goverment programs in other countries to support it.
Let others explore their dreams and see what we can do without gene splicing before the gene splicers take over . Those who think outside of the box prevent STAGNATION !
IS THERE A SIGHT THAT WELCOMES AND ALLOWS THIS TYPE OF DISCUSSION LET ME KNOW !!

#79712 - 09/08/05 02:50 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi Seedy,
Zebraxhorses are called Zorses if Zebra is the male
If the male is a stallion horse and female is Zebra it is called a Hobra
same with minis and donkeys.
these have been bred and used in Africa for dozens of years.
As to birds and peafowl, guineas and peafowl are cousins and do crossbreed. The main reason you can ship peafowl is because you ship them as guineas, not peafowl IF the postal service tries to cause you grief.
Phesants of any kind can and do cross breed with any kind of chicken. It is thought that a lot od the game chickens morphed out from wild red golden phesants. I have a female phesant running loose in the yard. She wandered in from?? she is a ?? they all look alike LOL.
I have seen no eggs and no action with her and the roos, but, if she ever lays fertile eggs it's because they are half chicken.
Why in heavens name would anyone want to intentionally breed chickens and turkeys?? OMG turkeys in most cases outweigh the chickens by so much it would cause a huge problem in egg genetics.....it just isn't smart......all my opinion...my peafowl and guineas do roam together, but the only action I ever saw was a male guinea in love with a yearling male peacock LOL no love connection there...(thank God)
Sally

#79713 - 09/08/05 09:03 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know PeaCOCk sometimes breed guinea hens and produce offspring. I know someone who has a guineaXSalmon Faverolle pullet. I tried to cross mine this year, but only my yearling peacock bred the guineas and so far nothing. Now I've put my guineas with my chickens(they crouch for everything due to not having a male of their own kind)...

#79714 - 09/11/05 02:41 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Guineas and chickens do not have the ability to cross......I would have to see this morph as it is supposed to be impossible....they are totally different Genus's (species?)
The phesants and chickens can cross tho. The chance of eggs being fertile from a year old peacock is slim. Even very, very fertile birds from both groups, guineas and peafowl, have a very low rate of fertility in their eggs....
Sally

#79715 - 09/11/05 03:06 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Hey Sally,
Peafowl and guineas will cross, as do guineas and chickens. Check out guinea.com and click on the 'weird stuff' forum. There you will see some photos of crossbreeds.

#79716 - 09/11/05 03:14 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Guineas and Chickens can produce offspring called "Guins." The offspring are not fertile, however, may lay eggs and the such but will remain sterile throughout their lives.

#79717 - 09/11/05 05:27 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
May lay eggs but remain sterile? Isnt the production of an egg a sign of fertility??

#79718 - 09/11/05 09:20 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Not if it can't be fertilized. It's the same thing with humans. A male may produce sperm, but the sperm may not be formed correctly. A female may produce eggs, but the eggs will not or cannot be fertilized.

#79719 - 09/12/05 06:57 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

is there any research to substantiate this theory? proven progeny between these 2 species?

#79720 - 09/12/05 09:37 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

You mean proof that a guinea and a chicken can cross? Yes, just look up Guin or Chicken X Guinea..or any chicken and guinea cross on Google! It's amazing. There are also plenty of pictures to go around.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/GuinHen/

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Guineas/BRKGuinHybrid.html

These two sites actually show the guins and it appears that they have even successfully crossed a Peacock and a guinea. However, the offspring will most likely be sterile also since they are of the same genus.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2