Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#79721 - 09/13/05 08:21 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I'm not totally convinced that all the pics at feathersite, especially the turkins, are crosses. I have many turkins that look like those chicks of all the different colors of my guineas and chickens. I'm not saying they aren't genuine, I don't need any hate mail, I just think the resemblance is pretty close. Why would you want to cross them if not able to breed them? for the freak factor? is the meat better> the eggs? my guineas are so rude to the chickens, I can't imagine putting them through the grief (not to mention AI breeding to even TRY to get fertile eggs....sheesh, why bother.

#79722 - 09/13/05 09:00 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I can find the pic from ym friend who has a Salmon faverolleXGuinea. That bird looks so weird. She didn't know what to think when this bird hatched out of a guinea egg, looked like a guinea exept for the feathered legs. Now it is milliefleur colored cool looking bird.
My guineas get along with my big chickens fine, I've seen my young peacock and my rooster breed them. I haven't tried to incubate them yet though.

#79723 - 09/13/05 09:36 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Most of the time it is an accidental crossing. Some people breed them because they want better foragers in their yard, but better egg layers than Guineas. I personally cannot stand guineas and now only deal with chickens and geese. I recall someone posting that guinea meat was very delicious and it makes sense that a meat bird crossed with a guinea would make suitable food.

#79724 - 09/14/05 06:12 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guineas are yummy, thats soooo true!
Ok, here is a pic of a Salmon Fav. Guin chick:

and here it is 1 yr later:

#79725 - 09/14/05 11:14 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

It's sort of cute too!!!! The pretty colors and just look at that face!!!

#79726 - 09/14/05 02:31 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
jrsygntbrdr1,
I heard somewhere in conversation, maybe here in some ancient post that often times, what you think you are getting when you order pheasant in a restaurant, really isn't pheasant, but guineafowl. I don't eat my guineas, and have never eaten pheasant in a restaurant (or at home), so I couldn't tell you if this is true.

Boothcreek Poultry, what a cute picture!! laugh

#79727 - 09/14/05 05:10 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I've never ordered pheasant. I don't really trust the way restaurants cook their poultry, so I only order beef products at restaurants...but if anyone has eaten pheasant...was it good? I don't know...I've heard that both pheasant and guinea fowl are good to eat. Either way, you should get what you pay for in a restaurant that offers pheasant as a meal.

#79728 - 09/14/05 07:25 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
guineas are all dark meat. I will never NOT have guineas as there was a time when I was so infested with ticks on our property during certain seasons I could have burned the house down, LITERALLY!!
By one year later, with a couple dozen guineas running free and for 3 or 4 years now, I have been virtually tick free!!! They are worth any and ALL the noise they may squawk!! LOL
As to the cross breeding, I will watch mine closer for awhile, but, I have NEVER seen my chickens and guineas cross breed. IF they try they fight each other within an inch of their lives. I HAVE seen the roosters tackle the ducks, but, that is all.
Sally
BTW, the hen is very pretty, but, I am still skeptical, it would make sense to get a hardier chicken or a meatier bird that has white and dark meat and bigger eggs....I don't know.
It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature wink

#79729 - 09/14/05 09:41 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've never had any ticks, but lots of grasshoppers. My guineas are incredibly noisy, people who had guineas for years say mine are unusally loud. I already had to sell most of my guineas cause my mom would go outside at 5 in the morning with the rifle and shoot at them cause they were so loud(and always at my moms window). The guinea I've eaten was one that died braking its neck while getting chased by its sisters, I found just when it flew against the fence and just twiched. I though I make the best of it. It was very tasty.

#79730 - 09/14/05 09:43 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

BTW, my friend didn't even force her guineas to breed with the salmon faverolles. Her guineas free range and her SFs get to go out in the afternoon, it must have happened then.

My peacock is crazy though, he is on the guineas 24/7. Although I don't think he has that much success.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2