Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#79731 - 09/20/05 06:36 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
It can only be because there are no male guineas and few or only 1 or 2 females, cause MY guineas RULE the yard!! EVERYTHING gets out of their way!! even the dogs LOL. I have 1 junior peahen in with a bunch of bantams. She got in there on her own, by accident, so I just left her there for safety. Well, I can pitch 6 hens in the pen and that guinea hen and she will stand in the middle of the pen, not looked at twice, and the roos chase the hens around and breed them for an hour....I have NEVER seen anything get a jump on the guineas, except the guineas LOL. The pics were pretty though of the SF crosses.
Sally

#79732 - 09/22/05 05:13 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
I've got a male guinea that is in love with one of my white leghorns. She isn't all that enamored with him.
Maybe if the romance keeps up come spring I might throw an egg or two under one of the cochins just out of curiosity.

#79733 - 09/22/05 05:51 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

HAHAHAHAHA now Sue, that is a hoot. they will end up (perhaps) eek skinny legged, louder mouthed, more sour attitude and possibly looking like a domonique something something with a helmet!! hahahahaha OMG take pics!! laugh
sally

#79734 - 09/23/05 10:17 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I heard in an old post that someone crossed a peacock with a chicken and posted the picture . does anyone know where I can find this picture .
also guineas are known for their hardiness if they were crossed with chickens they could make a more resiliant chicken hybrid strain with a higher egg producing capacity than guineas have. (maybe they will have speckled feathers also )
thank you for your kind and serious replies . anyone interested in contacting me can do so directly . my email address is seedyseed@hotmail.com

#79735 - 09/23/05 12:11 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
the postings are on the first page of this topic. Look for my third posting and the second link will show you the mix of peacock and chicken. Scroll down to the bottom of the website and the pictures will be there.

#79736 - 09/24/05 01:08 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

that pic is supposed to be a guinea and chicken, the question was about a chicken and peacock. I don't believe this is possible even IF the guinea and chicken is related. Perhaps by AI or test tube breeding, but, WHY?
Sally

#79737 - 09/25/05 05:50 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
The pictures of the cross species I've seen are UGLY! Looks like they inherit the the worst from each parent.
I have to admit my leghorns are my least favorite bird. My kid was bugging me for a white chicken and I made the mistake of stopping in a feed store that had some. Not nervous but just not my friend like the other assorted brown egg layers are.
Fred...Fred the guinea cock is the underdog of the flock. His mate was eaten by a fox and other guineas who had all paired up drove him away to live with the chickens. I feel sorry for Fred. Hopefully with my flock of teen guineas there will be another guinea lady for him next spring. The leghorn hen just doesn't appreciate his style or rather complete lack of it.
If the two mismatches are still an item come spring I'll hatch a few. Nothing to loose. Probably get good money for a weird cross at the nearby auction.
If anybody is nearby with an incubator your welcome to a few of the leghorns eggs now. Right now the only mature rooster I have is a bantam cochin and he can't reach. Not that I'd underestimate a determined bantam rooster but there does seem to be too great a size difference for him to be the dad. Fred does manage to catch that roadrunner hen.

On an interesting side note, I do have one other white leghorn hen. Fred does not care for her nearly as much as the one. The one he likes I honestly thought was a roo for a long time. She had a very large and very red comb early on. Much more so than the other. The other has a big leghorn comb but definately a size difference in the red flesh. Maybe something about that oversized comb Fred finds sexy? He pays no mind to my other hens, assorted rocks, wyandottes and sexlinks. He likes those big combs.

#79738 - 09/25/05 02:51 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Some people like to be able to test different theories. Maybe they want the peacock colors/feathers on birds that will lay more eggs for consumption. I believe the peacock/chicken breeding could be successful in a controlled enviornment especially with AI. You will probably have to do a search on google for Chicken/Peacock cross or something. good luck!

#79739 - 10/03/05 05:35 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

I have a blue pied guinea hen pullet that INSISTS on being in the pen with the stizzles. We are at pre-butcher stages right now so there are 15 roos in there. I have NEVER seen them look at her twice, but, they'll chase each other around until their half naked of feathers......weird
time will tell I guess. next year probably

#79740 - 10/24/05 09:21 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On Disney Channel they are promoting the forth-coming premier of the computer animated "Chicken Little" by giving "chicken facts". One "fact" they give is that a "cross between a chicken and a turkey is called a 'turken'". It bothers me when facts that can be checked as simply a a Google search or a quick glimpse at the McMurray website are still given incorrectly. Bah.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2