Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#79741 - 10/26/05 09:11 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
The turken has yet to be achieved, those advertized are just "naked neck chickens" !
I have heard of a turkey guinea fowl cross (these could be a superior meat bird )and a turkey pheasant cross . Which is the closer relative of the turkey? Does any one have a picture? also is there a peafowl X turkey cross amongst our members ? confused

#79742 - 11/06/05 11:23 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
KS Waterfowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Indiana
Just wanted to try to clear it up a little here. Guineas x Chicken, Guineas x Peafowl, Pheasants x Chickens all work. The eggs that are the result of these crosses will (if fertile) hatch crosses between the two. A chicken or bird will lay an egg no regaurdless if there is a rooster around to fertilize the egg. There are laying farms that have hundreds of hens but no roosters, and those are the same eggs you get at the store. And finally Turkens (Naked Necks) are not Turkey x Chicken crosses!!! The Disney Channel, stated in a "Chicken Little" promo commercial, that the common name for a chicken/turkey cross is a turken, but not so! The Turken is purely chicken bred in Europe not to have feathered necks. The trait is dominate, so you can breed a turken to any other breed of chiken and get other naked neck chicks. Hope that clears things a little

#79743 - 11/06/05 09:26 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Well, of course hens will lay eggs without a rooster! lol! Most people know that...except for my cousin who is 32 that though eggs from the store were made at the store and weren't "chicken butt eggs!" HAHAHAH!!!! That was a riot!

#79744 - 12/08/05 07:23 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

I see that the turkey can cross with the peafowl and the guinea (they say guinea tastes better than turkey so this could develop into a superior meat bird with the turkey size and the guineas taste), Thus even if it is sterile :rolleyes: it would have value . and the peafowl X turkey could combine ornamental and the largest heaviest poultry breed . a dual purpose bird . the peafowl has been crossed with the chicken by the way . A picture was once posted on this web sight . but I can not find it. can anyone find it for me ? eek some say a pheasant X turkey cross may be fertile . Any fertile extra-species hybrids interest me . For a limited time I have the book "Bird Hybrids " by A.P. Gray . any one want anything checked? confused just ask! laugh
"

#79745 - 12/08/05 12:11 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
It was a Guinea X Peacock cross. I posted it on the first thing, but I was corrected and it was a Guinea X Peacock cross. There are also pictures of other crosses. Especially the Salmon Faverolle cross! That one is still adorable in my book!

#79746 - 12/08/05 01:51 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

thank you for the posting ! I was refering to another posting ,which was years ago. according to A.greys book"Bird Hybrids" these other crosses are possible . laugh

#79747 - 12/27/05 02:21 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Glenda L. Heywood Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
well here is my learning and experience
yes pheasants do bross bred with chickens
BUT the only way to get fertile chicks is the hen is chicken and the male is a regular common pheasant. Not the exotic kind
Know a lady who had them many yrs and hatched their eggs.
Now for a guinea I believe it will only be mules that hatch out
never being fertile
Some mules lay eggs but do not become fertile

Just a Muscovy ducks can mate to chickens but the only way to be fertile in offspring is by
muscovy hen mates with a pekin duck
as the female controls the length of hatching and a muscovy is 35 days not like pekin ducks.
The other way around they ar mules.
Glenda L heywood
frizzlebird6@yahoo.com
http://www.gkpet.com
click on pet forum & discussion for articles
http://www.nationalpoultrynews.com

#79748 - 01/12/06 11:52 AM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you SO much for showing us all how to overecome the " mule factor " in muscovies .
You have been the first to tell us how . this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! laugh

#79749 - 01/12/06 12:16 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Muscovies are fertile both ways, just that the hybrids must be backcrossed as they are not fertile interse. Muscovie of either sex times pekin of opposite sex will make the hybrids....but they must be mated muscovie or pekin...not to another hybrid. It is common here to do that and backcross pekin till the facial caruncles are gone and type is recovered...to make bigger pekins for the show cage.

I've hatched some for my customers, and don't see any reason for them to tell me the wrong parentage.

#79750 - 01/31/06 05:21 PM Re: CLOSEST GENETIC RELATIVES OF PEAFOWL?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

smile thank you for straitenig us out !you are the first person to tell me thar muscovy hybrids can be used in further breeding . laugh

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2