Topic Options
#79772 - 03/27/04 01:06 PM first time guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
This is my first time with guineas. I raised mine from one day old and they are adults now and I believe ready to lay eggs soon. Hopefully anyways. Where do they like to lay eggs? Do they make a nest? I've heard they do not make the best mothers. I have some silkies and was hoping to have her hatch the eggs. Just an idea I had. Any information would be appreciated. smile Thanks a bunch!! hobbyfarm9257

#79773 - 03/28/04 03:05 PM Re: first time guineas
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
It's an excellent idea to let a chicken sit on the guinea eggs. If the guineas free range, often times the guinea hen lays her eggs in open fields of tall grass, which makes them vulnerable to predators when she finally decides to sit. I learned the hard way. When the hen never came back with babies (28 days), I knew she was something else's dinner. If you've got a good brooder chicken, take advantage of her and let her sit on the eggs, then let her raise the keets. Since I haven't let my guineas free range yet, the lone hen I have (I have five males), is dropping eggs everywhere in their pen. Even though I'm buying some keets, I decided to leave the hen's eggs alone to see if she'll sit. P.S. I have seen guinea hens with babies, so I imagine it's pretty much the same as with chickens. Sometimes there's one in the flock that just doesn't cut it as a parent. Have fun with the babies!!!

#79774 - 03/31/04 08:43 PM Re: first time guineas
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Many times when guineas free range (mine anyways) the male takes a very active part in the process. I have had to fight off not just mom but DAD when needing to collect the keets hatched off in the barnyard. I have a few hens vut haven't gotten any eggs yet this year...good luck
Sally

#79775 - 04/01/04 07:34 PM Re: first time guineas
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi....Got twelve keets in the playpen (in the house)!! Love listening to them chatter, and it's all day long. My two year old kitties are totally fascinated.
I have never tried to get keets from the parents, so you are one up on me with that. The first guineas I got were strays, and from there I've just incubated, with the exception of that one hen that went off and was laying her eggs, then disappeared to go sit. Never saw her again.
The one adult female I have now, is still laying like crazy. There's eggs buried all over inside the shelter. I'm just leaving them alone, and see what happens.

#79776 - 04/04/04 03:17 PM Re: first time guineas
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi Jeep,
Where do you live? I have one peahen that has laid about 10 eggs but no guinea eggs from my penned birds yet...I feed 20% pellets during the winter. I just bumped them up to 30% to kick them in gear hahaha I try to let my hens hatch so I get the incubator for the duck eggs...we'll see soon
Sally

#79777 - 04/07/04 09:59 AM Re: first time guineas
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi,
I live in central California. Funny, my peahen hasn't laid an egg yet. I just give scratch to my birds in the morning, and lay crumbles at night. The reason for crumbles instead of pellets is because I have some little tiny chickens, that wouldn't eat the pellets. This way everybody's happy. Speaking of ducks, my two girls are laying everyday. But...I'm not letting them raise any babies this year. Just don't want to start crowding their pen, and I'm not ready to let the ones I have free range yet. I have one more fence to put along the back part of the property, then I will think of letting them out. Same goes for the guineas.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2