Topic Options
#79778 - 10/14/06 07:10 PM new peacock???
Anonymous
Unregistered

how hardy are peafowl? I live in mn, it gets very cold here. how well would they get along with chickens? What if i got only one, to start with, could i throw him in with chickens? I would then hope to free range him with the chickens and then back into the pen(It's big and covered) at night. I've heard i must keep him penned for quite some time first though. What you would want to tell a soon to be owner? Yes i've looked at info for the pen/roost/perch.

#79779 - 10/15/06 03:30 PM Re: new peacock???
Kim Chat Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
As a first time owner, I can tell you what I just found out. If its young enough, you can free range it once it knows your coop is home. Older birds must be lock up for sometime. My chickens took it as a chance to attack them once the peacocks were finally allowed to get out and roam. They hit the woods for three days and finally came back today.

They like to roost HIGH. The guy I got mine from has a loblolly pine tree that they roost in. He had to nail some boards a little lower for the babies, but, it was still really high off the ground.

As for getting just one, I always go for two or more when getting birds. One can draw comfort from the other in a new situation. It makes a new life less scary when there is someone they recognize. Of course, that also means double the peacock screams( which I happen to love!)

Good Luck

#79780 - 11/16/06 10:44 AM Re: new peacock???
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah........looks like there is now 4, i had to add 3, got 4 year old's. india blue m/f, and a "pied" hen....she is white with black under the tail. She is still a pied though right? trying to learn alot fast here!

#79781 - 12/29/06 03:49 AM Re: new peacock???
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello everyone, im down to 2 now. She is a black shoulder, not a pied as the seller told me....anyways this is an old post, :p but my guy is just so calm and you should see him run to the pen door- knows there's a treat of some sort everytime- and he looks past me at the chickens who free range, when i'm home....tears my heart....I Got him oct. 16. I had planned to wait ontill mid winter, then let him out for a "few minutes" let him not wander more then a few feet... and put him back in. repeat every few days....right now he stands in the open doorway and looks at me, think he knows to stay in, but we both know he wants out..? As its winter maby he'll just want to return to the coop for the night (MN winter here) now IF (and then when) i let him freerange i'm aware they would most likly roost up high at night in the trees. Should i maby wait ontill after breeding season? I would relly like to let them loose as well!!!!! OH, the peahen- i just cant let her loose yet as she is still freaked out, calming down slightly.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2