Topic Options
#79798 - 06/21/04 03:54 PM Peahen with swollen eye
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a peahen and her left eye is so swollen, it sticks out about 1 inch. eek It's really gross! It's been swollen since around February, but other than that, she seems perfectly fine. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's wrong?

We also have a Tom with a swollen spot on the side of his face. Is this a disease that's spreading around our barn? O_o

I'd really appreciate any help!
-Daisy

#79799 - 06/23/04 12:49 PM Re: Peahen with swollen eye
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Yes it is a disease. Don't remember the specific disease associated with it, maybe Mycoplasma?

Anyways, do a search for 'infectous sinusitis' for more information and treatment.

You do need to treat them as soon as possible, or they will go permanently blind in that eye if left untreated.

#79800 - 07/02/04 09:23 PM Re: Peahen with swollen eye
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you find a treatment for your birds? I had a peahen and peacock do that last year. I thought it was the pox but I dealt with their eyes by washing them with warm water to loosen the infected matter. At one point I was able to gently apply pressure to the bottom lid and release a lot of the matter. It made a huge difference and along with the antibiotics I gave them they both got better fast after that. Good Luck.
Sally

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2