Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79826 - 05/31/03 11:36 PM ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'v been reading as much as i can on peafowl but i would love to pick the brains of some expereinced people sometimes the books don't tell every thing one should know. and if i get a peacock or hen. i would like to be sure i have all it needs. and would they be ok living with the chickens? please if anyone has any info that they think is important please shere it with us. :rolleyes: thank you,

#79827 - 06/01/03 06:27 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

All I know is they can be very loud, so have good neigbors.

#79828 - 06/01/03 07:01 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Chickens did not go well w. my peafowl but they were in a 24 x 36 enclosure. I had to leave them out on seperate days. Have seen others w. quite a fowl mixture and it seemed to work for them.

#79829 - 06/01/03 07:43 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a pair right now and they are not working out real well with the chickens. THe hen is fine, but the peacock attacks some of my roosters. Most of my birds including the peacocks free range during the day and I coop them at night. The peacocks has beaten up a few roosters and torments the others. And they are LOUD. I wouldn't mind it during the day, but in the middle of the night when the roosters crow, or the dog barks or it feels like it, it lets go a very loud startling scream that has me awake. My neighbors are over 3/4 mile away, through the woods and up the mountain {thankfully they are nice}. When they walked down to see me the other day they said, Oh, where is your peacock, we hear him sometimes. THANK GOODNESS FOR NICE NEIGHBORS THAT DON'T COMPLAIN! But the peacocks have to go, for sale one black shouldered peacock and one cameo hen-really.
Janet Tallon

#79830 - 06/01/03 11:12 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

frown well then in that case i guess it might not be a real good idea to get one right now. i knew they were noisey but i thought that it was i the morning like ruffus. thank you for your info i would realy love to have one. they are so pretty. but i live in the city.

#79831 - 06/01/03 11:50 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are peahens as noisy as the peacocks?

#79832 - 06/01/03 01:46 PM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes they honk a lot.

#79833 - 06/02/03 09:01 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peafowl are noisy just during May (maybe a few weeks before/after) at our place, which is the breeding season. For about 1 week, our cock called during the night. He and our 2 peahens will call together during the day before breeding starts. Now, both hens are sitting on eggs and poor "Pete" has to sleep in his tree alone. His call has changed now, sounds very mournful, missing his girls.

If you live in the city, and really wanted a peacock, I would suggest a hen. They are WAY quieter than the males! But when they do call, they are just as loud.

The only time our hens have made noise at night was when there was a predator in their pen. We learned quickly to take them serious and get up to check it out.

For more info, go to this forum, tons of good info and peafowl folks you can ask questions of: Peafowl forum cool

#79834 - 06/02/03 06:18 PM Re: ? ? peacock
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
A quieter peafowl alternative are the Greens and Spauldings.

Green calls arent as piercing as Indians(that's the peafowl 'everybody knows) and they don't call out as often. But, a huge but.. they can be extremely aggressive- viciously attack people. I used to have some, they were very beautiful but I got sick of being constantly attacked(they really can hurt), which made it no longer pleasurable to keep them so I got rid of them.

Spauldings are a mix of Green and Indian, however you can't predict which ones will be louder or quieter. Also you can't predict which ones will be mean or not. My Spauldings are very quiet compared to the Indians. They don't attack me, but I can tell the male has aggressive tendencies as he likes to attack the chickens and also will just up and beat up the peahens now and then.

#79835 - 06/03/03 01:42 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is an average price for an adult green peahen?

#79836 - 06/03/03 08:42 AM Re: ? ? peacock
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
A good idea on pricing is egg bid. Dont go by the asking prices, use the selling bids. Then adjust from there.
I miss my peafowl the most of any critters I have had. I enjoyed their noises. But then, I have seen folks who thought skunk smell was pleasant too!
I got rid of them because my Fallow buck killed my favorite pea cock. Then I ate the damn deer for spite and hung his crowning glory in the poultry house.

#79837 - 06/03/03 08:56 PM Re: ? ? peacock
Anonymous
Unregistered

ouch . a note to self dont mess with his birds. wink well i still want one but i still think i frown better wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2