Topic Options
#79838 - 10/08/08 04:22 PM Angry Guinea on ATTACK.....Help!
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Oh boy, do I need some help! I have a 4-year-old male guinea that is relentlessly attacking my large dominant male rooster. They have lived together in peace for the past 4 years on my property. Over the past week, guinea (although we are calling him by another name of late) is maliciously going after the poor rooster that does not fight back; and after running to near exhaustion from the evil guinea will just hide under a piece of furniture outside hiding his head and eyes from the attack for as long as he can. Guinea just prances around; and even though the rooster has totally submitted, he still attacks over and over. I fear for my rooster's eyeballs and ego.

What is wrong with guinea? Is he homophobic? (We always suspected he had a crush on the rooster, as before this, they were like peas and carrots.) What can I do?

I should mention that guinea had a mate--waaaaay back when I first bought him--and she died. Guinea just took to the chickens and got along fine. We have had no drama in that time; and to be honest, he did not miss her because when the two of them were together, they were terrible to the chickens. But I wonder if he is lonely for a mate? It took him long enough. Four years later, he is bitter, angry, and unstoppable. I think it is too late for therapy. What to do?

Please help!

#79839 - 10/13/08 06:23 PM Re: Angry Guinea on ATTACK.....Help!
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Wellll, am hoping you are intervening here, and separating them somehow. I don't have any good advice otherwise, have not kept guineas. I have two roosters who fight and must keep them separated, they each get free range time.

#79840 - 10/14/08 05:15 AM Re: Angry Guinea on ATTACK.....Help!
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

No they are not separated. Things have cooled off a bit, and guinea does not really do too much damage. Mostly my cock's self-esteem. Just wish I knew why he was doing it. M

#79841 - 11/13/08 03:58 PM Re: Angry Guinea on ATTACK.....Help!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Guineas and Chickens are two different species, that's why! Most often, they just are not compatible. Just because it was okay at one time, is not the norm. Guineas need lots of space and in pairs or more, will usually take off for their own territory to graze separately, will prefer to roost separately--they are "different", as you have learned! You will have to put up with it as long as your mix of animals is current. Good luck to the rooster--he is always going to be "low man" and at risk! CJR

#79842 - 11/13/08 08:20 PM Re: Angry Guinea on ATTACK.....Help!
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Well, its funny, because he socializes with everyone except for this one time of year when he goes bananas. Usually he is inseparable from the big rooster. Anyway, about a week after my post, things went back to normal--he has been his usual guinea-self, staying aloof, but never really letting the flock out of his sight!

I may pick up a female or two for him this winter, but have not decided yet if that will be a solution or just multiply the problem.....

Thanks for posting! M

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2