Topic Options
#79843 - 04/28/05 02:02 PM Guineas and predators?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, We've had some problems with predators eating our chickens and I heard that guineas are better at flying into the trees. Is this true? We live right next to a well-forested lake shore and there are coyotes and bobcats everywhere. We lost our second whole flock of chickens to coyotes two days ago and we're heartbroken. Are guineas a good alternative to chickens? We need them to eat the bugs and lay some eggs for eating.

#79844 - 04/28/05 02:53 PM Re: Guineas and predators?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I have coyotes way out back you can hear a 1/2 mile out. Which really isn't far. The other morning my guineas were going nut,7:30am, but every one else was fine. I went out and saw a lone coyote about 80ft off my fence. It wasn't hunting you could tell it was going from point A to B, but who's to say it won't stop by for dinner one day. If it wasn't for the guinea I would have not seen the coyote. I look closer now when they scream. Guineas like the trees, I just don't have any so they go to the coop at night. Several of my friends eat the eggs, they are small and they lay only for a few months out of the year. They will be good at eating ticks, which are found in wooded areas.

#79845 - 04/28/05 03:51 PM Re: Guineas and predators?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
If predators are in such abundance in your area, all you'll be doing is continuing to feed them. I like my guineas to free range during the day and go in at night. I usually don't let them out at all if I am not home. Guineas can and do fly up in the trees if there is danger on the ground, but if they roost in trees at night, then they are prey for the owls. I really hate keeping them cooped for any length of time. They are high energy critters, and really need some space. I would get chickens again, and have a nice coop for them and keep them penned indefinitely. Maybe letting them out when someone is there to watch over them. For some reason I do not feel as guilty about not letting them out to free range as I do my guineas smile Go figure on that one confused Good Luck

#79846 - 04/28/05 08:02 PM Re: Guineas and predators?
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
family has been here for over 130 years, raised sheep, cows, chickens, turkeys, etc.
coyotes have never come into the yard that is fenced with hog type wire. they are thick out on the range/pasture every night, but wont come inside the fence.
other neighbors say the coyotes get thier dogs, cats etc, i think the road takes them... but if you have a fenced area your birds might be safe from coyotes...

#79847 - 04/29/05 07:24 AM Re: Guineas and predators?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the advice. Part of the joy of chickens has always been seeing them wandering around, scratching for bugs, but I guess we have to be honest that it isn't working. In the past we've only lost one every couple of months, but this took out all 12 chickens at once.

It wouldn't be practical to fence the total property, and I don't think it would even slow down the bobcats, so we'll probably end up with Jeep's suggestion to make a permanent yard for them and only allow them supervised "walks".

#79848 - 04/29/05 07:55 AM Re: Guineas and predators?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I know what you mean about enjoying seeing them out and about. I have 22 acres, with about 4-5 completely fenced. But...it's field fencing and most of my chickens can fit through the spacing. The idea of my chicken being on the other side when one of the neighbors' dog(s) come by, just gives me the willies. Until I run chicken wire around the bottom two feet of the perimeter, they will just have to stay in. Besides their pen (30x40), I also can let them out in the day yard. That's 20x90. What I miss the most about free ranging is the dark yellow yolks! Makes a lemon meringue pie all the more appetizing!!

#79849 - 04/29/05 07:19 PM Re: Guineas and predators?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
LJ,
I have "foo-foo" chickens that would be sitting ducks to all predators cause they have no survival instincts, however, I have a flock of Key West game chickens that are so full of savvy it ain't funny. I also have the peafowl and guineas that call out any danger or weird sounds, even at night and Especially at night!! These gamebirds roost up high in the trees, are voracious protectors of their chicks and free range anywhere they want. I have only lost 1 hen and 1 rooster to predators in 2 years. I have a constant battle with coyotes, foxes, raccoons and possums. I also see a few hawks doing fly-overs but the peafowl start screaming and displaying and they keep moving on.
BTW, the game chickens are beautiful and lay just as much as regular chickens and the eggs are decent size and tasty. Good luck.
Sally

#79850 - 04/29/05 10:28 PM Re: Guineas and predators?
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I'd suggest getting some guineas for an "alarm" and for eggs, I'd get some leghorns or as Sally said, game chickens.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2