Topic Options
#79897 - 02/16/04 12:29 PM abandoned rhea issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rhea is doing well! What kind of feeders do rheas like? I'm experimenting with not much luck. He likes the one the farmer that found him put together, but rain gets into it and I can't put very much food out at one time. "Ickabod" is eating nearly 2 pounds of food a day! That's a lot of trips to fill the feeder.
I also want to let my llamas into the area again. Does anyone know if llamas like ratite ration? That is another challenge I'm working on. How to keep the llamas out of Ickabod's eating shelter.

I am amazed at how beautiful this big bird is.
He has figured out my schedule and is waiting for me every morning. I can't imagine keeping one or more rheas in a pen! The amount of poop that comes out of this one bird alone is incredible! Bigger than cow pies! I'm glad he's in a large pasture.
Melissa

#79898 - 02/16/04 03:31 PM Re: abandoned rhea issues
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
We cover the entire large pan of feed by a shelter around 4-5 feet high by about that wide for emus. They have to be able to get under it to eat. They do prefer their feed out in the open. But like you say it isn't practical during wet weather.

I don't know if ratites are good pets. One kick can do serious damage (especially if they still have their claws) and I wouldn't trust small children around them. They usually won't bother you unless you spook them, but kids can do dumb things. They are very strong. An emu kicked the sliding van door completely off the university van when they tried to transport it.

#79899 - 02/16/04 09:44 PM Re: abandoned rhea issues
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I hear that, one of our local vets got kicked in the thigh while vacinating young Emus in a horse trailer. It caused very severe and extensive bruses from just below her hip to the knee!!! The doc said if it had been frontal it would most certainly broke at least one of the bones in her leg. I hope your birdy is sweeter than that one,
I also believe that, being smaller than the lhamas, you could do a creep feed bar across the feed area as Roko. described allowing the emu to go in and out but the lhamas couldn't get under or over.
good luck,
Sally

#79900 - 02/25/04 12:33 PM Re: abandoned rhea issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the ideas. My llamas have amazed me at their agility and ability to get into places, plus they have very long necks!

I've gotten the impression these birds are not "sweet" at all and I intend to keep out of his way. I will admire him from a safe distance or with a fence between us.

Anyone know if raccoons bother them? Or nutria? I'm hoping he will give a few kicks to those pests.

The crop duster flew by a couple days ago, working the neighbor's fields. Wow, did I ever get a show! His neck feathers stood out (which made his neck look like it was 3 times as thick) and he crouched down and spread his wings, then did a little dance while keeping his eyes fixed on the plane. As soon as I got into the pasture he calmed down and decided to let me fend off the plane, I guess. He went back to eating and drinking and minding his own business.

#79901 - 02/14/05 08:00 PM Re: abandoned rhea issues
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You may have coyotes as a threat, but the Llamas may protect Ichabod! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2